Do you use Dolby Pro Logic II with your CDs?

Do you use Dolby Pro Logic II with your CDs? - Take the poll and make a comment.

• Yes. I listen to most of my CDs using DPL II

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I listen to some of my CDs with DPL II and some without

• I listen to most of my CDs stereo, but try some with DPL II

• No. I am a purist. DSP sucks.

• Huh? What's DPL II?

• Total voters
<font color='#000080'>I'll come back and post my thoughts later, but for now I want your take on things. Do you use it for your stereo CDs or not? What are your impressions of the format. Has it revolutionized the way you listen to music, or do you view it as just another DSP function that hardly gets used?

Comment away!</font>

V

viggi

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I have a Denon AVR 3803 which sounds great in the pure direct mode and does a pretty good surround effect with PLII.  I think PL II is great on live recordings. If I know the CD's recording quality is really good then I stick to the regular 2 channel mode.  

I have also noticed that PLII sounds a lot better with the Tuner/radio than with the same song played through a CD.  I dont know why this is?  Any thoughts.

Viggi</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Strictly 2 channel mode for me, use DSP to entertain and amuse my friends, I have a dedicated system for 2 channel stereo listening only and one system for HT.</font>

D

dis

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>For cd's I stick with the 2 channel stereo mode on my amp, I don't like effects and I don't like PLII or NEO6.</font>

S

Slee_Stack

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I listen to almost everything in DPLII on my bedroom system. &nbsp;It's a split on my main system and does depend on the recording.</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>I listen to about 1/4 in PLII, 1/2 in DTS NEO:6, and 1/4 in Good Old Stereo.

I listen to most Techno/Dance in PLII beause the rears are more active.  I use NEO:6 for Pop, Rock, Rap, Hip-Hop. And Stereo for HDCDs, classical recordings, and orcestrated soundtracks like Star Wars and Princess Mononoke.

As for DSP, if its a Pop, Rock, Rap, Hip-Hop DTS CD I use the Rock Concert mode on my RX-V1300.

:)~

Bob</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>I personally listen to DPLII or DTS Neo on older CD's or those that weren't recorded that well to add depth an ambience to the recording that ordinarily isn't there. &nbsp;However, for the ultimate recorded CD or SACD, I am a 2CH purist &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
D

duff

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Like most others here, I do both.
2 channel is ideal for sitting in the sweet spot, but I was really impressed with PLII for music.  It fills everything out a bit and nicely splits the difference between 2 channel and the 5 (or 6) channel stereo setting.
All the other DSP modes on my Denon are worthless to me (aside from DTS NEO).</font>

b_panther_g

b_panther_g

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I think pro logic 2 is great – for 2 channel video material. &nbsp;For music, I’m not so sure. &nbsp;Although, occasionally I listen to background music in pro logic 2, but it’s pretty rare.

I often listen to acoustic jazz, but also listen to reggae, pop, rap, rock, light classical, and alternative. &nbsp;

I’m not impressed with pro logic 2 when it comes to music. &nbsp;I don’t feel that it adds anything. &nbsp;In fact, since the music wasn’t mixed for pro logic 2, it feels less precise or less focused. &nbsp;The instruments seem to loose detail. &nbsp;With DVD-A or DTS CDs (I still don’t own a SACD player), where the music was mixed for surround sound, there is more balance, detail, and focus. &nbsp;

I especially don’t like that voice is usually locked in the center with pro logic 2. &nbsp;On many 2-channel recordings there are subtle shifts in the singer’s position. &nbsp;There are also many recordings where the singer is just left or right of center. &nbsp;Pro Logic 2 seems to eliminate this, the singer in the center, the left, or the right.

But, as I said before, pro logic 2 is great for 2-channel video material. &nbsp;CSI in Hi-Def with pro logic 2 is great!

Just my $0.02…

Respectfully,
B</font>

<font color='#000080'>The biggest thing I've noticed is that there is a significant difference between having the center of the mix matrixed (stereo) and having it come from the center channel speaker. On some CDs I find this welcome, on others, it bugs me... so each individual CD is starting to dictate the benfits of DPL2...</font>

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi,
Since I stopped using the panny rp82 for dvd-a in favor of a mltidisc player, i activated the re-master feature for RedBooks which upsamples them to 88/24 which my Denon will identify and allow. &nbsp;It is only since doing this upsampling that I've started using some of the dsp modes on the music.

So far it's been mostly DPLII and JAZZ club but it really depends on the album, I feel some are just meant tobe 2ch and thats how I listen.

Peter m.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis