Do you own a univeral remote???

B

Britney meyers

Enthusiast
Hello everyone

I've tried a search for this topic but came up empty handed. I didn't know where to post this topic :confused:

I'm getting tired of reaching for 3+remotes just to watch a movie. I'm going to get one of those universal remotes but I just don't know which to buy.

I've been doing a lot of reading on those Harmony remotes, maybe the H659 they sound easy to set up.

I respect all your opinions so I would love to hear anything you have to say.

If there is a topic on this already then I'm sorry for re posting but I couldn't find anything.

Thanks.
Brit

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
I own a Harmony 688 remote and am pretty happy with it. The feel and layout are great as is the backlighting. I only have one complaint: I do not leave my projector on (I just switch it on before I power up the system) and the macro to play a DVD always turns the projector off. There may be a way around this but I have not been able to find it. The remote is great though and the Internet downloads for your components is awesome. I don't know if you are looking at the 659 at a retail store or what. If so you can buy the 688 online for less than the 659 retail.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Also consider: http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/UniversalRemote.html
Home Theater Master remote... review is about as good as I have seen on it.

Or, to really make things simple: www.crestron.com - Specifically: http://www.crestron.com/products/show_products.asp?type=residential&cat=1014&subcat=1063&id=1265

The remote looks like the Theater Master, but it is RF, not IR, so you can bury your equipment behind cabinets or walls - or put it in your neighbors house, and it will still work flawlessly. Definitely more pricey, but it is basically flawless when programmed correctly.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
I finally got one witht my B&K 507 S2. I don't know how I've gone so long without one. I recommend getting one that is programmable through your computer. It makes things much easier.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I also have a harmony 688. I have had macro capable learning remotes in the past but never one that is so easy to use. You can program plenty of devices and do it all from a computer! I have my computer set up to play movies along with my a/v gear and it will even control it! Oh and by the way doug if you can't fix that in the advanced controls contact customer service and they will go into your account for you and fix it whatever way you request.
Oh and by the way there is a new remote coming,the 880, out I'm not sure when it is the same price as the 688 but it has a color screen.

e30cabrio

e30cabrio

Enthusiast
I have had a Universal Remote Home Theater Master SL 9000 for almost ten years and I really love it but it won't control my Sony SAT T60 Directv TIVO. I have been looking at the Harmony as I know several people that have it and love it but I cannot find out if the Harmony will control the TIVO. Anyone know if it does?

snakeyes

snakeyes

Audioholic Intern
e30cabrio said:
I have had a Universal Remote Home Theater Master SL 9000 for almost ten years and I really love it but it won't control my Sony SAT T60 Directv TIVO. I have been looking at the Harmony as I know several people that have it and love it but I cannot find out if the Harmony will control the TIVO. Anyone know if it does?

Call there customer service i did yesterday to find out if they had the codes for the lutron dimmers took about 5 minutes im going with the 688s which has dvr controls so i would assume it has tivo controls. alos in there faq's it said worst case scenario yoiu send them the original remote for the device and they can program your harmony that way. currently ive destroyed my ht budget so im just waiting for a price drop after the new one is on the market for a bit.
Jake

e30cabrio

e30cabrio

Enthusiast
snakeyes said:
Call there customer service i did yesterday to find out if they had the codes for the lutron dimmers took about 5 minutes im going with the 688s which has dvr controls so i would assume it has tivo controls. alos in there faq's it said worst case scenario yoiu send them the original remote for the device and they can program your harmony that way. currently ive destroyed my ht budget so im just waiting for a price drop after the new one is on the market for a bit.
Jake

That is great info, problem sending the original remote is it would make the TIVO 99% useless as most of it's functions are not accessable without the remote. I have a friend that had their remote die and it was less expensive taking DTV up on their 50.00 Phillips Directivo then buying a new remote for the Sony!

M

Mark Duncan

Junior Audioholic
No one has mentioned the Philips Pronto, but I love it. I have the 7000, 3000, and 2000. If you can swing it, get the 7000. It will do anything you have the imagination to make it do.

Mark

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
Thanks KRZYWICA! I put in a call to Harmony and now my remote does exactly what I want. I wish I would have called sooner. Customer service was awesome to deal with. I also noticed I have the 676 instead of the 688. Now I may be able to turn the wife loose with the system.

C

Chronos70

Audiophyte
Mark Duncan said:
No one has mentioned the Philips Pronto, but I love it. I have the 7000, 3000, and 2000. If you can swing it, get the 7000. It will do anything you have the imagination to make it do.

Mark
I was going to say check out the Pronto series. I've had the Pronto 2000 for the past 3 years, and I love it but for one small thing. it needs more hard buttons!! :) when I can save the money, I'm going for the 3000. it has 19 hard buttons as opposed to the 7 on the 2000. Now both the 2000 & 3000 are black&white. If you need a color remote I've heard the Pronto 7000 is good. it reminds me of a Palm PDA. Speaking of which if you have a PDA they make software to turn it into a Universal Remote. hee hee what'll they think of next? :rolleyes:

Jazzwyld

Jazzwyld

Audioholic Intern
Pronto...hmmm

I'm not a huge fan of the pronto. I know a lot of people like them, and they do have a cool factor, but the functionality of the Universal Remote Home Theatre Master is amazing. What's great is the average person can learn how to program that remote, or your local reps can. The best part of it I can place the remote in the hands of incompetent, and its very straight forward to use.

C

clayman88

Junior Audioholic
I'm really interested in these remotes you guys are talking about. Will these remotes literally control every function on most receivers, dvd-players, cd-players & tv's?

Thanks

C

Chronos70

Audiophyte
clayman88 said:
I'm really interested in these remotes you guys are talking about. Will these remotes literally control every function on most receivers, dvd-players, cd-players & tv's?

Thanks
I can only speak for the Pronto 2000, and yes it can literally control every function on any remote you teach it. And since it's a touch screen your buttons can take the shape of anything your heart desires. You can even program a help feature into it. Say you press your macro button to turn on the TV, then the DVD player, then power on your amp, and change it to the right input. And lets say it for some reason didn't power on the TV, you can press the "help" button and it could walk you through the steps to make sure eveything is powered on. Mind you what I just described is something that you have to program into it, but it can be done.

For more information about this and all the other Universal remotes, check out Remote Central

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

clayman88 said:

Thanks
I have the Home Theater Master MX-500. It will do anything you want it to. It is a great remote. I have used the philips remotes and I must say they really take some time to get used to. The HT masters are much easier to use and have a much longer battery life. (approx 6 months with normal use)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis