Do you need specific speakers for Atmos?

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Simple question. Can any bookshelf speakers be used for Atmos, or does it require specific speakers to run properly?

Also, if I'm running KEF Q150 for my surrounds (side and rear), but Paradigm 800F for my L/C/R, what should I be using for the Atmos speakers?

Cheers.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
No you don’t need special or specific ones. Just ones that for the application. For example, speakers like SVS prime sats that have an angled baffle can help keep them more on axis. This can also be achieved with regular BS speakers by aiming creatively. I’m assuming you’re going to mount on the front and rear walls?

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
No you don’t need special or specific ones. Just ones that for the application. For example, speakers like SVS prime sats that have an angled baffle can help keep them more on axis. This can also be achieved with regular BS speakers by aiming creatively. I’m assuming you’re going to mount on the front and rear walls?
Excellent.

And yes, 2 front 2 rear.

What about tonal matching? Is that an issue? Or are these speakers simply sound effects speakers, and that doesn't matter?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Excellent.

And yes, 2 front 2 rear.

What about tonal matching? Is that an issue? Or are these speakers simply sound effects speakers, and that doesn't matter?
Well some might say that they are only sound effects and ambiance so it doesn’t really matter. To me, that’s nonsense. While it’s true, the height layer itself contains sound effects, but that’s what a movie soundtrack IS! Lol
More than that, Atmos is much more than a height layer vs a bed layer. They work together to phantom image into the room on XYZ coordinates bringing more sound “into” the room.
So to me it matters, and if you can, get them to sound close. If not, do what you can and hope that RC can tonally balance them all. Imo, some Atmos is better than no Atmos.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Well some might say that they are only sound effects and ambiance so it doesn’t really matter. To me, that’s nonsense. While it’s true, the height layer itself contains sound effects, but that’s what a movie soundtrack IS! Lol
More than that, Atmos is much more than a height layer vs a bed layer. They work together to phantom image into the room on XYZ coordinates bringing more sound “into” the room.
So to me it matters, and if you can, get them to sound close. If not, do what you can and hope that RC can tonally balance them all. Imo, some Atmos is better than no Atmos.
Sounds good.

That being said, I'm using Paradigm Speakers for my front Soundstage, and KEF speakers for my sides/rears. So should I do the same for my Atmos speakers? I'm thinking I probably will.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis