Do you buy or lease your music?

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
With streaming making most music available for nearly nothing, do you still buy music?

And, if so, when and why?

-----------------------------

I was just contemplating my navel and became bored so my ponderance turned to my music.

I always have stacks of music in my cart.... at tons of online stores.

But most, as I said, is available through streaming. So why buy?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I buy CD's and DVD/BD. If I want to store them all some day on a home server, I'll figure out how to make that work. But for now, I am happy to get up and change a disc!

We also use iTunes to get various Series' (Rick and Morty) as a solution for not having cable.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I lease lol (Amazon Unlimited), but I already own a lot of it. Streaming allows me to listen to some of my stuff wherever I am and pick up stuff from the same artists that I don't already own but may have been interested in. If I find myself listening to it all the time, I will buy it. The nice thing about Unlimited is usually having access to a new album on release day to see if I like it, and that has paid off quite a bit in finding out I wouldn't buy some of them.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
To date, I own all of the music I have, some of it spanning 25+ yrs. For critical listening, I still like using a spinner...I have ripped maybe 70% of the CDs I have to JRiver...With maybe 4,000 songs on my network, most of what I want to hear, I have already....what I am adding is a bit of hi res stuff.

That said, I like the leasing concept, especially if you don't already have a large collection...for $20-$25 a mo you have access to very large databases of music.

2channel lover

I lease lol (Amazon Unlimited), but I already own a lot of it. Streaming allows me to listen to some of my stuff wherever I am and pick up stuff from the same artists that I don't already own but may have been interested in. If I find myself listening to it all the time, I will buy it. The nice thing about Unlimited is usually having access to a new album on release day to see if I like it, and that has paid off quite a bit in finding out I wouldn't buy some of them.
I have Prime so I guess I lease as well, but more of an all in one type membership...not all the bells and whistles of the unlimited deal.

I use youtube for discovery mostly and flip over to Amazon/Itunes if I like it enough buy it.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Yes, I still buy music (CD & SACD).
When: I usually buy just after the disc is released (as you well know, most classical labels advertise upcoming releases about a month in advance, so I've been salivating for a while when they finally release them and bite right in.)
Why: I love having physical media. I enjoy going into the spare bedroom where I have my music collection. I get to see, touch, read liner notes (usually when listening, which is really big for me....I love getting a deeper understanding of the work, the artists, etc.--kind of like special features on a DVD/Blu-ray) and I can get inspired when I see something I haven't heard in a while. I have my own library, which I re-organized just recently, which makes me feel as happy as a little boy who lines up all of his Tonka trucks and Match Box cars to take a look at them all.
Music in your cart: I heard that!
Why buy? I love music. I want music. I need music. I don't want it somewhere "in the cloud", I want it in my hands. Which actually has created a new issue. My wife and I have no one to inherit our collections. I plan on looking into who I could leave the music and movie collection with once we're both gone....I would hate to think it would all end up in a dumpster in the driveway when they emptied the house.

(what I said also goes for movies: DVD & Blu-ray, library in the living room)​

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have Prime so I guess I lease as well, but more of an all in one type membership...not all the bells and whistles of the unlimited deal.

I use youtube for discovery mostly and flip over to Amazon/Itunes if I like it enough buy it.
They offered 2 months free of Unlimited a while back and I liked it so I've kept it. For the price, it is pretty good. I DO like physical media as well, so I do still buy, but I buy less now. I listen to Unlimited mainly only at work because it gives me a huge catalog of stuff WITHOUT ADs (that is directly pointed at youtube...). The nice thing about Prime/Unlimited is when you do buy physical, you usually also get the digital copy on the service as well. That gives me instant access to the music while waiting for the physical copy to show up.

2channel lover

They offered 2 months free of Unlimited a while back and I liked it so I've kept it. For the price, it is pretty good. I DO like physical media as well, so I do still buy, but I buy less now. I listen to Unlimited mainly only at work because it gives me a huge catalog of stuff WITHOUT ADs (that is directly pointed at youtube...). The nice thing about Prime/Unlimited is when you do buy physical, you usually also get the digital copy on the service as well. That gives me instant access to the music while waiting for the physical copy to show up.
Yep...I use Prime at work mostly...some at home. I scour SACD.net I think it is for reviews...normally youtube will have it which is why I go there, but I agree about the ads. I have the freebie Pandora.

Now that I have Jriver, I'd started creating my own play lists for whole house music...less Pandora.

I like that feature on Prime/Unlimited...the digital and hard copy option when you've made a purchase.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
Yes, I still buy music (CD & SACD).
When: I usually buy just after the disc is released (as you well know, most classical labels advertise upcoming releases about a month in advance, so I've been salivating for a while when they finally release them and bite right in.)
Why: I love having physical media. I enjoy going into the spare bedroom where I have my music collection. I get to see, touch, read liner notes (usually when listening, which is really big for me....I love getting a deeper understanding of the work, the artists, etc.--kind of like special features on a DVD/Blu-ray) and I can get inspired when I see something I haven't heard in a while. I have my own library, which I re-organized just recently, which makes me feel as happy as a little boy who lines up all of his Tonka trucks and Match Box cars to take a look at them all.
Music in your cart: I heard that!
Why buy? I love music. I want music. I need music. I don't want it somewhere "in the cloud", I want it in my hands. Which actually has created a new issue. My wife and I have no one to inherit our collections. I plan on looking into who I could leave the music and movie collection with once we're both gone....I would hate to think it would all end up in a dumpster in the driveway when they emptied the house.

(what I said also goes for movies: DVD & Blu-ray, library in the living room)​

I did not answer the questions I asked because I wanted unbiased responses, I did not want to lead/steer the conversation.

This is the post I would have written had someone else asked the questions of me.

(with one exception, I don't own any non audio dvd or Blu-ray. I just don't watch movies.
OK, OK, I own about 10, classics to me, A Clockwork Orange, Blue Velvet, 2001... maybe 5 more)

I may need to use this on a signature line somewhere. ;)

I love music. I want music. I need music.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
(with one exception, I don't own any non audio dvd or Blu-ray. I just don't watch movies.
OK, OK, I own about 10, classics to me, A Clockwork Orange, Blue Velvet, 2001... maybe 5 more)
You may need to balance that with some Terry Gilliam movies....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
never heard of Terry Gilliam
Terry Gilliam has never heard of you.

And that's the sort of thing you'd expect to hear in his films. There's a lot of character to his stuff, but his films are always quite odd. If you figure it starts with Monty Python, you can imagine lol.

Actually, quite a few of his films are in the Criterion Collection, considered excellent examples of film making.

Last edited:
Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
I did not answer the questions I asked because I wanted unbiased responses, I did not want to lead/steer the conversation.

This is the post I would have written had someone else asked the questions of me.

I may need to use this on a signature line somewhere. ;)

I love music. I want music. I need music.
Don't watch movies. That's cool. I haven't watched TV since 2005.
Feel free to use the last line anytime you want.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I don't want it somewhere "in the cloud", I want it in my hands. Which actually has created a new issue. My wife and I have no one to inherit our collections. I plan on looking into who I could leave the music and movie collection with once we're both gone....I would hate to think it would all end up in a dumpster in the driveway when they emptied the house.
Leave your collections to a public library.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis