Do we really need Audyssey MultEQ xt32? Smart decision??? What I hear ...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So did I! I'd never seen it before. Decent flick.

I also thought that the sound was excellent and stood out...on my MCACC-running system. :D It's just a great audio track.
Yes, the SQ was rather surprisingly and exceptionally outstanding.

Can't wait for the next Bourne movie. :D

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I watched "The Bourne Legacy" BD last night. I did not plan to actually watch it, but rather to just "check out the sound".
"The Bourne Legacy" = 'That man must be chased' :p

[Rant on]
I found it forgettable plus I am completely sick of the color processing on action films.
Everything is teal and orange. The snow is blue, skin tones suck.
How creative that all action films are colorized the same way.
[\Rant Off]

- Rich

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
"The Bourne Legacy" = 'That man must be chased' :p

[Rant on]
I found it forgettable plus I am completely sick of the color processing on action films.
Everything is teal and orange. The snow is blue, skin tones suck.
How creative that all action films are colorized the same way.
[\Rant Off]

- Rich
I have all these speakers,subs, gears, and then I have this $2K projector so that tells you how much I care about video. The only thing regarding video I care about is that the Picture is crystal clear, bright, and colorful. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was thinking too bad they discontinued those outboard Audyssey XT32 components like the SVS AS-EQ1. That way anybody could use XT32 no matter what they owned, including some old goodies.

J

JonnyFive23517

Audioholic
I was thinking too bad they discontinued those outboard Audyssey XT32 components like the SVS AS-EQ1. That way anybody could use XT32 no matter what they owned, including some old goodies.
Agreed. It'd be fun if you had one, could take it to your friends and see what it did with their system. Now you have to lug your whole receiver over there... :/

RichB

RichB

I have all these speakers,subs, gears, and then I have this $2K projector so that tells you how much I care about video. The only thing regarding video I care about is that the Picture is crystal clear, bright, and colorful. :D
I get that, color accuracy also matters to me so I calibrate it as well using the Lumagen Radiance and Calman 5 125 point system.

This is a bad time for movies. All filmed on Planet Teal.
These folks all have their toys from AVID. It's as garish as when documents first got fonts.

I could not believe M's shirt in the lastest Bond movie; It looked backlit :p

Here is some reading for those interested:

Into The Abyss: Teal and Orange - Hollywood, Please Stop the Madness

- Rich

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed. It'd be fun if you had one, could take it to your friends and see what it did with their system. Now you have to lug your whole receiver over there... :/
If I see one for sale, I may just buy it. None on eBay or Audiogon now.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I get that, color accuracy also matters to me so I calibrate it as well using the Lumagen Radiance and Calman 5 125 point system.

These folks all have their toys from AVID. It's as garish as when documents first got fonts.

- Rich
And all this time I thought Hollywood had gone spray tan crazy. :rolleyes:

I do think my system is better with Audyssey flat + DEQ and no additional processing. I used to use Dolby PLIIx for pretty much everything. Not any more.

P

Peja

Audiophyte
Can you guys please explain to me what I am missing here?

Audyssey measurement is taking far too long.
I've done everything as instructed.
Plug mic, pass through test signal on all speakers and move to the next step:

“measuring front L speaker…”
Nothing happens for 45 miniutes and I had to quit.
It is way too long.

I’m using multeq Xt on Denon x3200 5.1 (bi amp fronts).

Thanx

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Can you guys please explain to me what I am missing here?

Audyssey measurement is taking far too long.
I've done everything as instructed.
Plug mic, pass through test signal on all speakers and move to the next step:

“measuring front L speaker…”
Nothing happens for 45 miniutes and I had to quit.
It is way too long.

I’m using multeq Xt on Denon x3200 5.1 (bi amp fronts).

Thanx
Sounds like something is wrong. You might want to try a hard reset. If that doesn't work, make sure the firmware is up to date. If it still isn't working you may want to try looking into a return.

You should also verify that a signal is being sent to each speaker. Go to level settings and select each speaker to make sure a tone is being sent to each speaker.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I don't even like Audyssey. So no, it isn't absolutely necessary in my view.

The more important question is whether or not to use room calibration at all. The answer to that, of course, lies in the acoustics of your room and neither you nor I know what that is in your case. So without getting into a long drawn out discussion let me simply suggest you spend some time listening to your system with it and without it. Whichever sounds best to you will be the way to go.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

- Rich
And Avatar seemed all blue, or something wrong with my eyes?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't even like Audyssey. So no, it isn't absolutely necessary in my view.

The more important question is whether or not to use room calibration at all. The answer to that, of course, lies in the acoustics of your room and neither you nor I know what that is in your case. So without getting into a long drawn out discussion let me simply suggest you spend some time listening to your system with it and without it. Whichever sounds best to you will be the way to go.
Hey fmw, I must say of all people, I thought you would try out not only Audyssey but also Anthem ARC, Dirac and YPAO etc before liking or not liking any or all of them. Well, may be you did already, I shouldn't be assuming thinga.. Seriously though, I too, am not keen on using any of those to EQ in general, except the Sub EQ part. That, to me is very effective and a real time saver.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Hey fmw, I must say of all people, I thought you would try out not only Audyssey but also Anthem ARC, Dirac and YPAO etc before liking or not liking any or all of them. Well, may be you did already, I shouldn't be assuming thinga.. Seriously though, I too, am not keen on using any of those to EQ in general, except the Sub EQ part. That, to me is very effective and a real time saver.
My biggest complaint about Audyssey is the lack of user definable criteria. That being said, in the rooms I have used Audyssey in, I haven't had the horrible side effects that I've heard other people complain about. Based on before and after measurements, Audyssey has even helped in some areas other than subEQ.

Dirac was pretty good the last time I used it, but other than being able to specify curves and some other stuff I didn't really notice a huge difference audibly or measurably between the two after I had run them.

I've also used antimode 2.0 dual core for subs and played with it calibrating a pair of speakers before as well. I think the antimode did a great job, but was limited in terms of scope of what it could do.

I helped a friend do a set up with YPAO and wasn't blown away with it.

I'd really like to try Trinnov, especially the standalone unit and maybe the miniDSP with Dirac built in to see if anything has changed.

RichB

RichB

I have tried Audyssey and number of times and recently Dirac. Audyssey (non-professional) always made the Salons sound thin and reduced the sound-stage.

Dirac Full has the ability to limit the frequency range adjustments for low and high frequencies. This is a must in my view.

My room is unusual in that the ceiling is sloped and has 5 large beams. It is 30 feet long with opening on the back (for another 16 feet) and one side. There seems to be effect on REW's ability (and possibly Dirac) measurements.

Thus far, Dirac, while configurable, seems to have an effect on the sound-stage. Spreading out the image across the main channels. It also boosts the 100 to 300 range making the sound chesty. Placing a high-frequency curtain in places solved the midrange problem. However, engaging curtains did not change the effect on the sound-stage. PEQ did not have as great an impact sound-stage when applying REQ to the same low-frequency range.

For me REQ should:
  1. First do no harm - There should be no discernible change in the detail and sound-stage when enraged with all settings flat.
  2. Have adjustable ranges
  3. Be capable of before and after measurement (predictions don't count)

So far, I have not gotten past step 1) :)

I have had 3 mic's calibrated by Cross-Spectrum Acoustics: miniDSP UMIK-1, Dayton Audio Omni-Mic2, and Dayton Audio UMM-6. When I get some free time, I plan on measuring (REW) my room from the 9 Dirac positions (high and low <18" apart) and plotting them and utilizing PEQ and Dirac again.

Sound-stage remains a major concern because once it is degraded, I have found that tweaking cannot restore it. At this time, I remain a purist.

- Rich

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I have tried Audyssey and number of times and recently Dirac. Audyssey (non-professional) always made the Salons sound thin and reduced the sound-stage.

Dirac Full has the ability to limit the frequency range adjustments for low and high frequencies. This is a must in my view.

My room is unusual in that the ceiling is sloped and has 5 large beams. It is 30 feet long with opening on the back (for another 16 feet) and one side. There seems to be effect on REW's ability (and possibly Dirac) measurements.

Thus far, Dirac, while configurable, seems to have an effect on the sound-stage. Spreading out the image across the main channels. It also boosts the 100 to 300 range making the sound chesty. Placing a high-frequency curtain in places solved the midrange problem. However, engaging curtains did not change the effect on the sound-stage. PEQ did not have as great an impact sound-stage when applying REQ to the same low-frequency range.

For me REQ should:
  1. First do no harm - There should be no discernible change in the detail and sound-stage when enraged with all settings flat.
  2. Have adjustable ranges
  3. Be capable of before and after measurement (predictions don't count)

So far, I have not gotten past step 1) :)

I have had 3 mic's calibrated by Cross-Spectrum Acoustics: miniDSP UMIK-1, Dayton Audio Omni-Mic2, and Dayton Audio UMM-6. When I get some free time, I plan on measuring (REW) my room from the 9 Dirac positions (high and low <18" apart) and plotting them and utilizing PEQ and Dirac again.

Sound-stage remains a major concern because once it is degraded, I have found that tweaking cannot restore it. At this time, I remain a purist.

- Rich
If you're so interested you could try miniDSP and REW's built in correction. I have used and use that. The only issue is that it's a single point measurement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichB

RichB

And Avatar seemed all blue, or something wrong with my eyes?
Nope :)
Did you notice the Audioholics interview with Dan at CES were all blue. The Navi are among us.

- Rich

RichB

RichB

If you're so interested you could try miniDSP and REW's built in correction. I have used and use that. The only issue is that it's a single point measurement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perhaps the miniDSP would differ from the XMC-1 but without a good reason to believe that, I don't want to expend the time and effort to find out.

I believe the results of REQ should be compared with a reference. So I would not buy a processor without a Pure/Direct mode. I am not sure the miniDSP can be removed for comparison.

People can like or dislike the sound and that is great, but it is a bit like trying to calibrate a video display by eye. You can make improvements, but even the best calibrators rely on a reference.

- Rich

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Perhaps the miniDSP would differ from the XMC-1 but without a good reason to believe that, I don't want to expend the time and effort to find out.

I believe the results of REQ should be compared with a reference. So I would not buy a processor without a Pure/Direct mode. I am not sure the miniDSP can be removed for comparison.

People can like or dislike the sound and that is great, but it is a bit like trying to calibrate a video display by eye. You can make improvements, but even the best calibrators rely on a reference.

- Rich
I'm not sure what you mean. The miniDSP is an external unit, with both a passthrough function or it can simply be removed from the signal chain. Having never dealt with an XMC-1, I couldn't say what the differences are.

RichB

RichB

I'm not sure what you mean. The miniDSP is an external unit, with both a passthrough function or it can simply be removed from the signal chain. Having never dealt with an XMC-1, I couldn't say what the differences are.
Which miniDSP are you referring to?

The 88A has can bypass the filters which is not the same as bypassing the circuitry.
Here is a post that attempted to measure the effect of a miniDSP with filters (flat):

https://www.minidsp.com/forum/diy-hifi-projects/1173-re-minidsp-sound-quality-test?limitstart=0#1272

The XMC-1 has a Stereo Reference mode which does bypass the DSP circuitry and the sound difference between Stereo/Direct and Stereo Reference is quite evident on digital sources. On analog sources, it is obvious.

I am not saying that these REQ products are not useful, but they may have a cost and that I prefer comparing the effects against a "pure" source, whenever possible.

- Rich

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis