Do statistics really lie?

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
There was a comment in an earlier thread that got me thinkin'. (Rare event.) One can find different speakers (brands, series) with almost identical performance stats/measurements. Yet those speakers can sound world's apart and cost could be separated by thousands of dollars.

So the inevitable question then is....why care about performance measurements?

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
It depends on what specs or measurement you are looking at.

If you are looking a manufacturer's specs, then they really do not tell you much on how the speakers will sound. If fact, they are not held to any standard on advertising those specs.

A full range of measurements taken by a third party definitely can tell you how a speaker will tend to sound.

Measurements such as those taken at Soundstage can give you a good idea of how a speaker will sound:
http://www.soundstageav.com/speakermeasurements.html

In particular, the "listening window" graphs, IMO, are a great indicator on how a speaker will sound along with the distortion measurements.

After all that, the final judges are your ears.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Statistics do indeed lie. 84% of all people know that :D .

The components that are put into a speaker will also have a large impact on sound.

I agree with Silver Surfer with regards to manufacturers using certain figures to advertise. I wish that I understood enough to be able to look at listening graphs and get some idea of what a speaker would sound like or what its inherient strengths or weaknesses might be. I'd have no idea where to start. (Please no book suggestions, I've tried two already, great for my insomnia but when it comes to math or science all that I get is a headache)

Statistics can be made to say anything. It's the proposition and following evaluations that are the issues. In any case, you are more referring to measurements, not statistics.

There are several websites we know of that provide plenty of measurements in their reviews. The problem is, many of those measurements are faulty or have nothing to do with the performance of a product.

Example: Did you know that Dodge has 16% more volume in its full sized trucks than Ford. We took 10 trucks and compared their volume to arrive at this amazing and revealing statistic.... You get the idea?

9f9c7z

Banned
silversurfer said:
If you are looking a manufacturer's specs, then they really do not tell you much on how the speakers will sound. If fact, they are not held to any standard on advertising those specs.
I think the FTC will have a differing opinion on that. Getting them (or your State's AG) to do anything about is a different story. The way it works is the squeaky wheel gets oiled. The more people that complain, the greater the probability for gov't intervention.

It’s the exact same thing with price fixing, manf’s controlling product retail distribution, and limiting warranties to “authorized dealers”. It’s all illegal but happens because not enough people have complained, yet.

silversurfer said:
After all that, the final judges are your ears.
Agreed!

C

claudermilk

Full Audioholic
Just remember the old cliche: there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. I just used the specs as a starting point, and not much even there.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
claudermilk said:
Just remember the old cliche: there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. I just used the specs as a starting point, and not much even there.
I was thinking the same thing, but couldn't remember the whole quote. I think it was attributed to Mark Twain and is something along the lines of 'There are 3 types of untruths: lies, damn lies, and statistics' (guess we should look it up and get it right. :))

4 out of 5 doctors think 1 out of 5 doctors are idiots...

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Not to get into a discussion about whether measurements are 'statistical' or even its cousin, 'comparative' measurements....it seems you all agree. Screw the reports. GO LISTEN to the speakers.

But that defeats the proposition. Why do we all go around looking at data (comparative statistics) relative to speakers?

Gosh, I'm so easily befuddled at my age. :confused:

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Not to get into a discussion about whether measurements are 'statistical' or even its cousin, 'comparative' measurements....it seems you all agree. Screw the reports. GO LISTEN to the speakers.
Absolutely. There's no substitute for a demo.

But that defeats the proposition. Why do we all go around looking at data (comparative statistics) relative to speakers?
i think with your better, more respected companies, you can follow specs to a point. I trust the specs on higher end speakers, but take receiver specs with a grain of salt. Power ratings on amps should be cut in half IMO. HK is about the only company to get it right.

Gosh, I'm so easily befuddled at my age. :confused
I don't know if you have kids, but they, along with most of my brain cells from college, have left my noggin years ago!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis