Do Smart TV's have a free pass to invade your privacy?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Two U.S. Senators are concerned about smart TV privacy, and they want the Federal Trade Commission to do more to ensure that Americans are protected. Vizio had to pay $2.2 million for privacy violations in 2017, but Smart TV companies are still gathering data on viewers, and selling that information to advertisers.

Senators Markey and Blumenthal stated in their letter that
smart-TV users may not be aware of the extent to which their televisions are collecting sensitive information about their viewing habits,”

and that Samba TV
does not provide sufficient information about its privacy practices to ensure users can make truly informed decisions.”
TV-senators.jpg

But for now, companies like Samba TV are not regulated by the same relatively strict rules that cable companies are subject to, and there is no guarantee that the FTC will take action in response to the senators’ letter. Should the FTC go after Samba TV for invading your privacy?

Read: Do Smart TV's have a free pass to invade your privacy?

TechHDS

Audioholic General
It’s for that reason my SmartTV isn’t Connected to the Internet. When I first hooked up my first STV and going through settings to run the Internet to it this lil side menu popped up saying I had to agree to Yahoo‘s terms cause the browser on my Vizio is Yahoo, went Oh hell no! So I use No apps at all even on my Blu-ray player. Had a Onkyo NR656 in order to use some of the apps on that unit you had to agree to Onkyo’s terms about how they collect data of how you use the unit/apps needless to say I didn’t agree and I sold the unit off.
When I first saw apps on STV’s and blu-ray players I wasn’t happy at all about manufacturers implementing apps on STVs and Blu-ray players. Now you can’t buy any audio/video gear without that crap installed. There’s no more privacy left to consumers Bank cards track everything you swipe with your card, they to sell off your info. Bad enough I get tracked on my cell phone everywhere I go and what I do with all the apps on My iPhone.

Mike

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Also, what do you call a proposed law by a couple of Dems in Republican-controlled Senate which could ever so slightly reduce large media conglomerates income?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Also, what do you call a proposed law by a couple of Dems in Republican-controlled Senate which could ever so slightly reduce large media conglomerates income?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
"Alex I'll take 'Pissing in the Rain' for $800"

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis