Do I really need a subwoofer?

mistergsf

mistergsf

Junior Audioholic
Right now, my home theater speakers consist of 2 floor standing Mirage 200is speakers (that are about 10 years old) and a 'cheapie' Boston center speaker that is over 5 years old and will be replacing when I shop for the remaining surround speakers this weekend.

I still LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Mirage speakers and will keep them as my front L/R speakers. They've got great hi/mid ranges and excellent bass. My question is this, since the bass it puts out is more than adequate, do I really need to have a subwoofer in my setup?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I still LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Mirage speakers and will keep them as my front L/R speakers. They've got great hi/mid ranges and excellent bass. My question is this, since the bass it puts out is more than adequate, do I really need to have a subwoofer in my setup?
Of course not. It is *possible*, however, by using a sub to xover lower bass that you could achieve better audio, if only because the best positioning for your speakers' imaging is not always the best place for bass response.

If you forgo the sub, tell your receiver it is off, and if your speakers are indeed capable of full-range reproduction, then tell the receiver so. In this case, many/most receivers will reroute the LFE meant for subwoofer to your mains. Normally, this signal is tremendously reduced in order to protect both your speakers and receiver's amplifier, BUT at least you still get some LFE.

mistergsf

mistergsf

Junior Audioholic
If you forgo the sub, tell your receiver it is off, and if your speakers are indeed capable of full-range reproduction, then tell the receiver so. In this case, many/most receivers will reroute the LFE meant for subwoofer to your mains. Normally, this signal is tremendously reduced in order to protect both your speakers and receiver's amplifier, BUT at least you still get some LFE.
Thanks, jostenmeat, and yes. Right now my receiver knows I don't have a subwoofer and rerouting the LFE to mains and they respond very well. Anything more will probably affect our relationship with our neighbors below us.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks, jostenmeat, and yes. Right now my receiver knows I don't have a subwoofer and rerouting the LFE to mains and they respond very well. Anything more will probably affect our relationship with our neighbors below us.
You're welcome, and yes I definitely agree that in many/most apartments, a big beefy sub is not the first place to spend with one's AV budget.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
A good SMALL sub might do the trick though :) If you are satisfied with the bass you get from your current mains, then no. For me, it is a must :D

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
imo, and i believe pretty much everyone would agree. i sub is a MUST.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
[My question is this, since the bass it puts out is more than adequate, do I really need to have a subwoofer in my setup?

Does a thunderstorm really need the thunder?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
At Mike's house there is no thunder. It's a direct lightening strike. :eek:
I think they go down to 0Hz. :D

Even though I live in a condo I still have two small subs.
I turn them off at 8:00 PM. My neighbors don't know I have them. ;)
They think the noise is from traffic and airplanes during the day time. :D

annunaki

annunaki

Do I really need a sub woofer?

Do I really need both of my arms?

YES YOU DO!!

J

JLMEMT

Junior Audioholic
There are two ways of looking at this.

First, the rational way. You are happy with your bass and it sounds good to you, why mess with it and spend money on a sub?

The second is the audioholic's way. OF COURSE YOU NEED A SUB!!:eek:

Seriously though. You are happy with your sound and don't want to piss off your neighbors, a noble goal, so leave well enough alone. Personally I think that you are missing some LFE that you could enjoy so I would reconsider if and when you get out of an apartment. But it is ultimately your choice for more reasons then we could hope to go into here.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
For music I'm often just fine without a sub but for movies I really find too much is missing without a decent surround sound and a sub. I've been living in apartments as long as I've had my 12" Velodyne now and never really had any issues. Proper placement certainly helps you get the bass you want without having it turned up as much as well, sounds better too.

Of course for my movie watching experience there are other issues I might address in your system. Generally with movies I'm not as picky about speaker matching as I would be with five channel audio but I find it still often matters. Having your center of a different brand may or may not be a problem, I don't know your speakers and how similarly they're voiced. Additionally I would want surround speakers as well. 5.1 is sufficient for me to really get in to a movie and enjoy the surround but I have heard 7.1 setups and they are better at times. I don't have 7.1 and don't have room for it now nor does my receiver support it. My next HT will be a more or less complete rebuild, no idea when that'll happen though.

So I wandered off track (it's late and I should go to bed) but if you haven't experienced any home theaters with a sub you owe it to yourself to see what the difference is with one and without one, even if you have mains that can produce bass well. Maybe you could look in to local dealers or an ID brand with a good return policy so you can try a sub out and return it if it isn't what you want or need. As I said I've used a sub in apartments for years (I've been on the second floor and there hasn't been a third floor anywhere I've lived) and never had issues.

If the neighbors aren't home or it's a friday or Saturday evening turning it up a bit isn't even always a problem, some of them do it too :) A big sub can be turned down, or you can get a smaller less powerful sub to suit your room and apartment issues better. Even at lower volumes I find a sub adds some authority to the bass in a movie that most mains aren't delivering.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I think that they're just too afraid to complain. You have looked in the mirror lately, right? Intimi...wait for it...dating. :D
We've been here two years now and because of my erratic employment I have had the privilege of befriending a couple in their 80's. They also know everybody's business. Everybody's business. Well, a couple of days ago Jeane (80 year old woman) started talking to me about TV's. I invited her over to check out Harman Audio Heaven. She didn't know I had this stuff and she ain't scared of $h!t.

There's another tough old bird that lives below us and she was up here in the first month complaining about us walking and a squeaky computer chair. I replaced the chair but a series of events have led to me getting heavier. When ever my g/f is pissed off she marches around like a miniature Mussolini. I think it's cute. Whatever, no complaints about tv/movie volume.

I'm afraid of offending the old and weak. That's the kind of thing you go straight to hell for. Point is that there is an acceptable time of use. Although I am not rocking 7 Ultras, I get bass. I get LFE. I like running two subs because it gives me a more even bass response over a wider listening position and I flat out think it's cool. We all know that speakers ain't gonna deliver the bass content that is in movies and I'm saying that you can pull this off successfully in a multi occupant structure.

As Tomorrow would say, you have to pick your spots.

C

cfrizz

Senior Audioholic
Until you get a sub you WON'T realize all of the bass that your main speakers simply aren't capapble of playing even with music. And for movies it's a must have.

So as they say ignorance is bliss. Or you can get a small sub & hear what you have been missing.

I now have 2 small subs myself and it has helped even out and expand the bass output listening field.

As for disturbing the neighbors, just use common sense & think that if you would get disturbed by a bunch of booms going on over your head at an inappropriate time of night then so would your neighbors.

A

audiomadman

Audiophyte

YES YOU DO!!
When I got my Subwoofer I could hear the whole picture finally. U get that deep rounded bass of the drums on music that was missing before. Also for HT setup the explosions are breath taking compared to just mid size fronts.

B

blued888

Audioholic
"Do I really need a subwoofer?"

You definitely need one if were curious enough to ask that question. :p

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
[My question is this, since the bass it puts out is more than adequate, do I really need to have a subwoofer in my setup?

At Mike's house there is no thunder. It's a direct lightening strike. :eek:
I think they go down to 0Hz. :D

Even though I live in a condo I still have two small subs.
I turn them off at 8:00 PM. My neighbors don't know I have them. ;)
They think the noise is from traffic and airplanes during the day time. :D

YES YOU DO!!

No you don't need a single sub. You need at least a dual sub system:D

I hope my neighbors think it's a car. But I wonder how the depth charges will go when I try U-571 on the subs when they get built.:D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I wonder how the depth charges will go when I try U-571 on the subs when they get built.:D
It will probably sound loud but during considerate hours, who cares? Your not bucking for 120dB @ 40Hz-60Hz, are you?

At my place during the day time when the old bastard upstairs has his grand kids running around at 5:00 PM as they get ready to go home Mon.-Fri. I don't loose my mind. I expect that he can handle a little depth charge periodically. The other thing is that short bursts of LF noise sound like they are coming from the heavens above and hell below. He may not know exactly where it's coming from. hehehe:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis