T

tanya2ky

Audioholic Intern
I must admit i am novice when it comes to technology and in last few years i haven't kept up with it.

I am looking for a computer/Device which i can connect to my TV and watch:
1. Youtube and other free streaming websites. (Should support different Video formats)
2. Check emails
3. Browse internet

Currently i use Wii to do this but it does not support many Video formats so its very limiting and it doesnt allow me to download any Non-Wii software on it. Though i loved the option to control it via Wii remote without having a mouse or keyboard.
So basically i want something like Wii which can be wirelessly connected to my router and it should support various video formats and it should look good and could be controlled via a remote control.

I don't need DVR/PVR or any gaming functionality.

I am not sure if i need to build a HTPC for my requirement
OR
if Wii has an option to support more video formats
OR
I need to buy another device (read about Pocorn on this forum)

Please advice...

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
you can do a mac mini I've heard those are good ways to go. I use an apple TV and I'm very happy. I only use it as a music server though dont really surf web on TV but it does do You tube and stuff.

T

tanya2ky

Audioholic Intern
Thanks Chris for your reply, i am sorry i forgot to mention my budget.
I dont want to spend more then $500 for this.

I liked apple Mini computer but again i will have to use Kayboard and mouse to control it i wanted something similar to Wii...

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I must admit i am novice when it comes to technology and in last few years i haven't kept up with it.

I am looking for a computer/Device which i can connect to my TV and watch:
1. Youtube and other free streaming websites. (Should support different Video formats)
2. Check emails
3. Browse internet

Currently i use Wii to do this but it does not support many Video formats so its very limiting and it doesnt allow me to download any Non-Wii software on it. Though i loved the option to control it via Wii remote without having a mouse or keyboard.
So basically i want something like Wii which can be wirelessly connected to my router and it should support various video formats and it should look good and could be controlled via a remote control.

I don't need DVR/PVR or any gaming functionality.

I am not sure if i need to build a HTPC for my requirement
OR
if Wii has an option to support more video formats
OR
I need to buy another device (read about Pocorn on this forum)

Please advice...
I just ordered the brand new Popcorn Hour C-200 and it should be coming in in a few weeks. At which time I will be doing a full review.

http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/index.php?pluginoption=catalog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQhN8rLWOuI

T

tanya2ky

Audioholic Intern
I am sure many others including me will be waiting to read your review on Popcorn c-200.

S

sturgl

Audiophyte
If you're a novice, I'd steer clear of the HTPC option. While great for the hobbyist, these are not consumer electronics products. The likelihood of an HTPC requiring technical support is still pretty high, and if you're unable to provide that support, then you'll find yourself in a bit of pickle. Regardless, I'd say a full-blown HTPC is overkill for your needs.

Like others, I'd say the Popcorn is a good option.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I second the Popcorn Hour for people that just don't want to have to mess with a full blown HTPC

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis