Do I need both DVI and component video interconnects to HDTV?

D

dubbing wax

Audiophyte
This may sound like a stupid question but can I use a single DVI interconnect between my HDTV cable box and HDTV? Must I also provide another interconnect like component video between the cable box and TV to capture any non digital signals?
My Time Warner HDTV cable box has both component and DVI. I have been using the component connection thus far, but feel like trying the DVI interconnect to see if there is any difference in picture quality, especially in HDTV broadcasts.
I know with audio you need to cover digital and analog output, is it the same with video?

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
It's not the same as audio. All you need is the DVI as it will carry all signals output from your cable box to your TV. Give it a try and see if you notice any improvement in picture quality.

C

calgarianperson

Junior Audioholic
my cable company reccomends that I should rn DVI for HD broadcasts and also S-video for analog broadcasts. Although I haven't yet tried it other people have stated that with DVI there is a loss in analog signal quality and another interconnect (they recomended s video) would provide better results on those channels.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
calgarianperson said:
my cable company reccomends that I should rn DVI for HD broadcasts and also S-video for analog broadcasts. Although I haven't yet tried it other people have stated that with DVI there is a loss in analog signal quality and another interconnect (they recomended s video) would provide better results on those channels.
I've heard that as well although I don't think there will be much difference between the DVI and the component connections. I'll have to give that a try. I have a Samsung HD DirecTV box connected with component cables and a DirecTV TiVo connected with s-video. The SD picture looks better with the TiVo box than throught the HD box. The HD box looks a bit softer for some reason. Im buying a DirecTV HD TiVo in a couple of weeks and since I'll have an extra s-video cable I'll hook them both up to see if there really is a difference in the output or if my current observations are more hardware related. :eek:

Rex

Rex

Audioholic
dubbing wax said:
This may sound like a stupid question but can I use a single DVI interconnect between my HDTV cable box and HDTV? Must I also provide another interconnect like component video between the cable box and TV to capture any non digital signals?
My Time Warner HDTV cable box has both component and DVI. I have been using the component connection thus far, but feel like trying the DVI interconnect to see if there is any difference in picture quality, especially in HDTV broadcasts.
I know with audio you need to cover digital and analog output, is it the same with video?
The DVI interface in this instance is probably only DVI-D for your video performance not for audio. My LCD TV has a DVI-D plug and Analog for Audio. If your TV has a DVI-I then it should support both Digital and analog sources and you shouldnt have problems Analog drop since DVI has the bandwidth available and is backward compatable with HDMI.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis