Do I need a dolby atmos soundbar if I have a dolby atmos tv?

S

skarfejs19

Audiophyte
I have Sony XH90 tv which does have support for Dolby Atmos in itself and as well as eArc HDMI port. If I get a soundbar that is NOT dolby atmos would I be loosing the benefits of Atmos?

Would also appreciate some suggestions what soundbar I can get for my needs. I am interested in the best sound.... I don't like to spend extra money to have silly features like Google Alexa and this sort of stuff.

Thank you in advance

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
In short yes. You will lose all benefits of Atmos.
But also. What are your expectations of Atmos performance from a soundbar? Set up correctly takes at least five speakers at ear height, plus a minimum of two on/in ceiling or at least in a “height” location high on the front wall, or side walls. Imo, Atmos from a soundbar is dubious at best. And from what I understand eARC can only pass Atmos in a lossy form.
For the money you’ll spend on a decent soundbar, you could easily invest in a nice 2.1 system, or a budging surround system. Keep I mind too that the “subwoofers” that come with soundbars are not good.
If you really need a more minimalist look, it seems yamaha makes a “decent” soundbar.
You should know, not many here are fans of the soundbar, so you might not get much traction, but there definitely are some.
Good luck.

M

mdinno

Junior Audioholic
I'm surprised Dolby allows Atmos to be used as a selling ploy the way it is. The only thing the TV and soundbar is doing is decoding Atmos. That's it. You have to get an AVR and use bookshelve speakers at height to get the proper benefits of Atmos. It's a simple as that.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
I have Sony XH90 tv which does have support for Dolby Atmos in itself and as well as eArc HDMI port. If I get a soundbar that is NOT dolby atmos would I be loosing the benefits of Atmos?

Would also appreciate some suggestions what soundbar I can get for my needs. I am interested in the best sound.... I don't like to spend extra money to have silly features like Google Alexa and this sort of stuff.

Thank you in advance
I have a full Atmos setup in a room and a Atmos soundbar in a different room. There is simply no comparison there. Soundbars are such a letdown.

Your best current option/solution for a minimalist Atmos setup (that doesn't take over the whole room like a full Atmos setup) may be the Sony HT A9 system

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Thank you in advance
Best sound and soundbar is an oxymoron. Sound bar = mediocre to poor sound at best.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Best sound and soundbar is an oxymoron. Sound bar = mediocre to poor sound at best.
Took the words right out of my keyboard. Soundbar is what you do when you have extremely limited space or want it louder than a TV and don't care about sound quality. There are some decent sounding soundbars actually, but even a budget 2.1 or 3.1 setup is still going to still sound better.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis