DIY System - Starting with Sub - $1500 budget (for sub(s))

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks a lot for the suggestions Chris. Let me make sure I am clear on a few points:

I plan on running dual subs. I will only need one DCX2496 right? From the specs is looked like I could run multiple outputs without a problem.
DCX2496 has 6 outputs, which can independently configured/EQed from each other.

Hopefully, you will be running your main speaker pre-amp signals through the DCX as well, so that you can achieve ideal integration and flexibility.

With those dual subs, I would need an amplifier for each sub right? Well, I know that I don't need an amp for both, but I don't want it to be underpowered.
Well, a single amp will output 650 watts into 4 ohms per channel. That is plenty of power for the 12VQ Kappa Perfect, unless you intend to EQ the lowest octave up in response in a small sealed enclosure; at which point then it would be ideal to use much more power to prevent clipping on transient LF peaks. Since this is really only for transient, the speaker will have no issue with the high power. But if you try to run the speakers at ridiculous SPL levels constantly, using the small sealed cabinets and boosted LF EQ; it is possible you will cause mechanical failure of the drivers. For high SPL output; the ported systems are ideal, as I have outlined before.
As far as fan noise, all of my equipment is remote located in a different room so fan noise shouldn't be an issue. I assume that I would just want to run very low gauge wire to the subs with all of that power.
Standard 12AWG is fine.
Before I drop $1200 on equipment, are there any other suggestions?
Room acoustical treatments! :)

-Chris

G

GTHill

Audioholic
Now, it doesn't have to be in another room if that is a problem. Or, I could just walk into that room to turn it on. :)

Gene

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis