DIY SubWoofer or Buy New?

Mani-aX

Mani-aX

Enthusiast
Well, my Cerwin Vega CLSC-15S has bit the dust so to speak... the amplifier threw its hands in the air and said "No More!!"

What I am attempting to do needs some help from you guys...

I have a few options up my sleeve.

1. Buy a Buttkicker LFE Amplifier and run the cable directly to the subwoofer in the Cerwin Vega Cabinet. (any one tried this?)

2. Buy a dedicated amp (similar to option 1) like the outlaw m-2200 series mono amp, and configure a DIY subwoofer setup.

from Outlaws Website :
You simply buy one for each speaker. Like our other 200 watt amplifiers, this amp will drive virtually any speaker or (passive) sub you throw at it.
My biggest question here is, if you have an amp to power a sub, how do you adjust the cross-over if the amp does not have on built in, and the source (tuner) doesn't have options for it..?

3. Buy a new Subwoofer. (500.00) budget.

---------

Let the poll begin

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
DIY a nice big beefy 12" or larger sub+cabinet+plate amp (or rack amp) yourself for $500.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
jonnythan said:
DIY a nice big beefy 12" or larger sub+cabinet+plate amp (or rack amp) yourself for $500.

Sorry to hijack...but any suggestions?

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I personally built one using the Dayton High Fidelity 12" sub from Parts Express and mated it with their 250W plate amp.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
For $500, if you have the skill and the tools, you'd get the most 'bang (or should I say boom) for your buck' with a DIY sub.

You could also buy a separate plate amp from Parts Express as Jonnythan noted ( here's a few to choose from) and replace the C-V amp. These almost always have a built-in crossover and high level inputs to use the crossover settings of the amp. If this were the chosen route, buy the strongest amp the C-V can handle. I believe there's a decent 300w B.A.S.H plate amp available for just about $150 that would suit the CV perfect, assuming the driver wasn't damaged at any point and you liked the performance of it.

Having said that, for ~ $500, you can find a pretty solid sub for HT as well as music use. How big is the room you'll be using it in? What's the majority of your listening material? Personally, I would suggest watching SVSound's website for B-stocks like a hawk and then pounce on a PB-10 or PCi 25-31 as soon as it's available. Both B-stocks likely can be found for under $500... -TD

wilkenboy

wilkenboy

Full Audioholic
SVS has a PB-10 ISD up right now for $375 in white.

~Josh

B

bandit

Audioholic
Did you like the sound of your Cerwin Vega? If so - I'd buy it a new plate amplifier - several different models are available on the net, complete with crossovers, phase adjustments, level controls, etc, etc. I bought a 350w Rythik Audio unit that performs excellent IMO. If you think you would like something different than the Cerwin Vega there are also kits out there. This route may be the most satisfying - as you can claim bragging rights when the project turns out perfectly. ;) The previous post mentioned an SVS PB10 for $375. I haven't heard an SVS sub personally - but most who post here sure seem to love em.

Sheesh - how is that -looks like I picked all three options if you are polling.

Bandit

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis