DIY Sub idea, will it work?

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Morning folks,

I've had some ideas on DIY subwoofer box builds but wanted some opinions. Thinking outside the box

So I am building my living room up and thought of building an all in on entertainment center. This console would house a center channel AND a center subwoofer. I know some people would argue against this idea due to reflections and such but in my mind I feel it would work.

Imagine this console which would be very hefty, solid wood, which would house A/V equipment, PS4, cable box, etc, etc. On either side of the unit. In the middle would have the sub box built into the bottom half of the unit and above it would have the center channel built into upper half. Both would be separate from each other and both would be sealed enclosures to spec for those speakers. I think with enough bracing and insulation within the boxes would dampen the sound waves enough not to cause issues with all the A/V stuff. Perhaps even create a rubber matt like base for each peice of equipment?

As a note, the center channel would be aimed as close to ear level as possible. The bottom of my 65" TV is 33" from the floor. So the center would be basically just below 33". Again the center will be a sealed enclosure.

Sub would be sealed but I've thought about a square port as well. Still uncertain on port vs sealed. It'll be 50/50 music/HT and although I like that rumble effect, my wife doesn't. Not to mention I think I can achieve lower frequency with a 12" sealed sub in comparison to my current ported 60RMS 8" sub.
The only other possible idea would be building 2 seperate subs into the base of my front stage towers but I really like the center Sub idea. Plus it'll be cheaper than 2 subs. Furthermore I'm not worried about anyone else but myself center seating as to sound ✊

Thoughts, opinions, ideas, objections ?????

annunaki

annunaki

I would plan to do some basic subwoofer placement testing prior to committing the resources to a project such as this one.
In theory it could work well if that spot happened to work well for the room.

The downside is if you happen to end up placing the cabinet in a bass “null” in the room response it could be rather disappointing.

Test for placement and then after that get back to us all and we can help!

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
I would plan to do some basic subwoofer placement testing prior to committing the resources to a project such as this one.
In theory it could work well if that spot happened to work well for the room.

The downside is if you happen to end up placing the cabinet in a bass “null” in the room response it could be rather disappointing.

Test for placement and then after that get back to us all and we can help!
Well said, I'll have to test this and see. But that's a valid point. Thanks

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Your center channel idea can work too, but you have to pick the right transducers for the job as far as the baffle goes. I'd recommend a 3 way tho 2 way can work. You'd need to design the correct crossovers for the center as well and that can be really tricky unless you know what you're doing.

The sub idea could be sketchy for reasons already mentioned. Subs can be fussy with placement.

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Your center channel idea can work too, but you have to pick the right transducers for the job as far as the baffle goes. I'd recommend a 3 way tho 2 way can work. You'd need to design the correct crossovers for the center as well and that can be really tricky unless you know what you're doing.

The sub idea could be sketchy for reasons already mentioned. Subs can be fussy with placement.
Originally was looking at gr research av series or maybe x series. Both are 2 way that I'm aware of. 3 way would be better but certainly looking at cost and diy kits. Gr research is within price for sure.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis