Diy Projector Install

B

bigmc78

Audiophyte
Im putting a theatre room in my basment,, and im curious if anyone can help me out?? Im curious if you need a higher ansi lumens brightness if the projector is about 25 feet from the screen?? There is no ambiant light in this room. Im looking at the sanyo PLV Z2 its only 800 ansi lumens. Also wondering about aspect ratio,,, It says its 16:9 but most of my movies are 4:3 and Im looking at a 4:3 screen, so i was wondering if it is adjustable to accomidate the 4:3 ratio even though its a 16:9 projector?? Any insight would be greatly appriciated,, as you can tell this will be my first time doing anything with a projector,,,

Thanks Mike

Also wondering if the size of the screen will make a difference of the ansi lumens,, Im looking at a 57" x 77" with the projector between 25-30 away from screen, and wondering if 800 lumens would be okay with this scenerio

thanks again Mike

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

The maximum throw distance for this projector is 20 ft., with a throw ration ranging from 1.3 - 1.8:1. For a 77" (96" Diag) 4:3 screen the maximum distance the projector can be from the screen is 14.4 ft.

M

MrSot

Audiophyte
Have you considered actually building your own lcd video projector? A friend and I built one using resources we found over at Lumenlab Total cost to build is around $400 or so and the results well... they speak for themselves.

here's a link to results of other builders

cheers,
scott

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DBS

DIY Labs focuses on using an overhead projector screen as the means to bring the image to the screen. These show poor results.

These screens are low res, and were not designed to show high quality DVD movies.

If you want to see far better results, Lumenlab is the place to go.

U

Unregistered

Do a google search. "Scott" (scott@lumenlab.com) has been posting these exact messages or slight variants all over AV forums. Watch out.

If the results really spoke for themselves, I'd at least be able to find one good review of their project. So far, no dice.

I smell a scam

U

Unregistered

honestly

I have bought the plans for this projector that you are talking aobut - and i am dead serious about saying that this is not a scam - it took me 3x's redesigning my box but i finally got it going and it is completely insane - anyway its for real - i will probably never find this site again - but i just wanted to clear that up - you should check it out

www.lumenlab.com

and goto the forums section - there you will find users results -

U

Unregistered

someone said that the DIY Labs results aren't good because they use OHP LCD panels, but all you have to do to make them better is to simply use a better LCD panel. What I mean is that the plans there don't specify any specific LCD panel - you can use anything and get great results. Plus the plans and everything are free ... can't beat that!

Here is their new link, http://www.diyprojectorcompany.com/

U

Unregistered

hi

Unregistered said:
Do a google search. "Scott" (scott@lumenlab.com) has been posting these exact messages or slight variants all over AV forums. Watch out.

If the results really spoke for themselves, I'd at least be able to find one good review of their project. So far, no dice.

I smell a scam
Hi, I just built the projector from Lumenlabs.com and it works absolutly awesome.......... no joke, Bill

U

Unregistered

Not a scam, just new on the scene

Yup, I built one too. These projectors are not a scam, Lumenlab is a great site. The plans are simple, laying out the basic design, the REAL help comes from the private forums.

Anyway, if you don't believe me, check out the project gallery for results. Or just do a google search for "lumenlab". You'll come up with several personal pages with pics of the build as well as the results...

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
In the process

genesis said:
Yup! That site is where i and a lot of guys learned to build a projector. There's a lot of good guys out there.

But be prepared to spend some time to build one. It will challenge your creativeness.

Check out my projector development in that site.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33356&highlight=diyprojector
I'm in the process right now of building my first projector, check it out here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44837

I'm using a LCD from a PSone and a slide projector. Not much stuff on my post, but I will be posting a step by step of stripping the LCD this weekend.

How long did it take you to build yours? Nice results BTW.

G

genesis

Audiophyte
took me 4 months to get the best out of it.

Hey good luck on your project. Hope you can post images with vga mods.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis