DIY - Front or Down Firing

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I am getting ready to start construction on 2 DIY subs and have my basic box dimension set to the following. 20" x 24" x 27" (w x d x h) and I have to integrate a 10" x 3.25" x 62" slotted folded port. Will I see a difference in performance on whether the driver fires forward or downward? Also how about the port, will I see a difference on the port opening in the front or rear?

Right now my design is laid out to have the driver and port front firing, just want to get a few opinions on it before I start cutting.

Thanks

Jeff

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
In most cases, it isn't going to be critical, because low frequencies are not directional, so it is doubtful if you could tell the difference by sound alone, assuming that it is set up properly and functioning correctly.

However, over time, gravity is likely to cause the woofer to sag, and with it down firing, it is likely to become off center at rest, and then it will not be able to perform as well as when new.

Also, with it down firing, you will need some way of raising the woofer off the floor, so the cabinet is likely to be more trouble to make.

For these reasons, I would probably go with a front firing woofer, if I were making it myself, unless there was some particular design issue that I needed to accommodate (e.g., if the cabinet were cylindrical, then I would put the woofer at the end of they cylinder, etc.). In my case, however, I happen to currently own down firing subwoofers (SVS CS-Ultra). But that was selecting what was available, not making it for myself.

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
The benefit of a down firing sub is all the sound you don't want the sub to make never gets to your ear since you're so far off axis. A down firing sub should sound better than it's front firing equivalent. The downside is the weight of the sub on itself will lower its life.

I always prefer front firing just because I like the see the speaker pounding.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The benefit of a down firing sub is all the sound you don't want the sub to make never gets to your ear since you're so far off axis. A down firing sub should sound better than it's front firing equivalent. The downside is the weight of the sub on itself will lower its life.

I always prefer front firing just because I like the see the speaker pounding.
If the crossover is 80 or less, you will not localize to it.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I agree nothing is better than watching subs jump, I was just curious if firing off the floor would create for "impact" for lack of a better term. Right now I have two entry level subs and one is front firing and front ported the other is down firing and side ported. I do know that I do not like the side port. If makes placement more difficult.

P

pnutbutter81

Enthusiast
Go to audioholics.com store and look at the dayton audio DIY sub packages then you will take all of the thinking out of the equation and have a hella setup you know will work at a huge savings to prebuilds. They even have PEQ's included in packages aswell as the amps. I have seen great reviews from them aswell putting one together.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Go to audioholics.com store and look at the dayton audio DIY sub packages then you will take all of the thinking out of the equation and have a hella setup you know will work at a huge savings to prebuilds. They even have PEQ's included in packages aswell as the amps. I have seen great reviews from them aswell putting one together.
I don't suggest this approach. IMO. You can put together your own subs for much cheaper especially if you have the tools.

Not to mention the PE amps aren't very good in tests. Bash amps are a good plate option, but a EP2500 is the WTG IMO.

P

pnutbutter81

Enthusiast
Also, I highly discourage using 2 different subs regardless of the perceived outcome of more uniform bass. They will never have the same gain levels and will cancel out each other, though you will feel more bass. I would rather use one goob sub and budget for another clone of it in the future. Don't let your ego and bass obsession sacrifice truly good sound. Just my opinion though, because i have always had another sub sitting around i wanted to use and have already seen the effects from doing it in the past. If you are not as obsessed with this problem then I guess you can keep putting in sub after sub....lol.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Thanks for the help guys. I already have my subs at my house. I just need to build the boxes. I have all the dimensions laid out and was just seeing if anyone and a good reason to either fire forward or down.

Joeteck

Joeteck

Audioholic
Personally I like front firing, because sometimes I like to see it move, and the chances of it moving is far less likely than a down firing type. If you make it too powerful, can it jump? Kinda defeats the purpose of a sub...IMO.

Joe

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis