gpost3

Banned
Yep that's all I wanted to say.
-A few banana plugs off from ebay
-a 12 AWG speaker wire from your local home hardware store
-a wire crimp/cut tool
-some electrical tape.
-and some common sense.

better than any monster and ultra high-end crap....

Thoughts?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Yep that's all I wanted to say.
-A few banana plugs off from ebay
-a 12 AWG speaker wire from your local home hardware store
-a wire crimp/cut tool
-some electrical tape.
-and some common sense.

better than any monster and ultra high-end crap....

Thoughts?
Sounds good to me:D A number of great looking end products from DIY been posted here over the years.

But, the only issue is "common sense." How can it exist when it is nowhere in sight;):D If it did, we wouldn't have all the problems and issues.:D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Electrical tape? Nope, wrong answer. Shrink wrap is the correct one. 9 out of 10 times 12 AWG is overkill too. DIY is definitely the way to go though.

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
minus electrical tape. elec tape is a bandaid meant for temporary use.
A tip for some banana plugs is to remove the colored "ring" (black or red). I find this makes a MUCH tighter fitting connection to the wire. Just dont mix up the polarity... :)

C

Critofur

Enthusiast
What size shrink wrap would you use with 12 AWG multi-strand insulated wire?

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
the smallest that will fit over the application you need it for...there is not answer because it depends on if you fold wires, solder, etc....

G

Gustavo

Audioholic Intern
#4 awg

Im now using #4 AWG stranded wire in individual red and brown translucent insulations.

No audible difference compared to #14 AWG but, so what, it looks cool.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Im now using #4 AWG stranded wire in individual red and brown translucent insulations.

How are you connecting the wires to your speakers and receiver/amp?

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan

For really pro-looking results, get a spool of the Monoprice in-wall cable then finish the ends with their closed banana plugs. For the real finishing touch, Parts Express sells cable pants.
Was wondering how 4-AWG gets connected....or even fits in speaker posts or hooks to a receiver/amp?:confused:
Not to mention how it would fit in banana plugs.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
An 8-foot pair of speaker cables costs $80 at that site, and about $10 from Monoprice (250 foot spool for $55, 25 cents for cable pants, and about $6 for banana plugs.

How much did you pay for shipping?

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
An 8-foot pair of speaker cables costs $80 at that site, and about $10 from Monoprice (250 foot spool for $55, 25 cents for cable pants, and about $6 for banana plugs.

How much did you pay for shipping?
I bought the wire and banana plugs from BJC(because they sell bulk wire by the ft.)...the cable pants, srink wrap & tech flex from partxpress...I really can't remember how much...it was awhile ago...:eek:. Fwiw...more recently I purchased from monoprice-1 25ft cat5 network cable @3.74 +(4) 4' hdmi cables @ 2.81 costing 11.24...my shipping cost was $13.14.

I thought those cables looked purdy....:D

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
Here at Ascend Acoustics, we depend on real world measurements to put some "teeth" into our claims of superior performance. We also strive for absolute neutrality in delivering the audio signal from its source to your ears. To achieve this, we have selected a speaker cable that in-house measurements show to have a significantly lower ratio of inductance/capacitance than similar-grade alternatives. No magic bullet. No mumbo jumbo. Just plain physics.
Interesting claims that I would like to read over...

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Interesting claims that I would like to read over...
I didn't buy these cables for improved listening or better inductance levels, just like I don't belive speaker break claims that's all hyperbole and marketing hype. I do know the new improved listening or sound comes directly from my new Sierra's....;) I only bought these because they look a whole lot better than my DIY ones which almost cost me as much and are clearly visable to passer byes.

*Disclaimer: I didn't buy them from AA....fwiw.

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
Hey billy p , how do you like the 6190? I have the 6180 and I like it...

Last edited:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Hey billy p , how do you like the 6190? I have the 6180 and I like it...
I like it a lot(coming from a denon 3805)! It has ample power to drive about any speaker and it looks nice and clean because all the controls are tucked away. My next avr will likley be another Yammy....:).

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
These remain my favorite banana plugs...
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=2098&sku=29785#

The two screws lock the cable in place so it can't EVER slip out. No soldering, which is good for those who make changes or are soldering inept. Plus, the plastic covers help reduce the chance of a short which can occur with the all metal banana plugs.

I've never used them with cable pants, but figure that adding those would be good.

I haven't yet looked into it, but I do want to find some colored speaker wire jackets. Preferably dark - black or dark brown or similar. Something to take it from the wall to the speaker in a theater. Maybe also for some inter-rack work.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis