nuance

nuance

Junior Audioholic
here's the deal..... I got my PC connected to my reciver to play Mp3's (above 128 bit/rate) via the factory sound card w/ an 1/8" stereo plug to rca connectors which are connected to the reciever (VSX-515:( ). Whenever more than medium bass is played through the speakers it gets all distorted (kinda like cheap earbud headphones). Do you guys think that if I upgrade my soundcard(even a cheap one) with a digital connection, will that get rid of the distortion ?

T

Tod

Audioholic
One other thing to consider is the volume out level on your computer. If that's set too high, it will distort badly. Try setting your receiver to a volume maybe a bit louder than you would normally play other music sources, and then adjust the level on your computer to sound good with that. Lowering the bass level in your sound card may help too. There are a lot of different things going that route that can cause problems, so it may take some playing to find out how to minimize them as best as possible all at once.

nuance

nuance

Junior Audioholic
thanks, that helped quite a bit. I can't remember what song I really heard the worst distortion on but my bass setting on WMP were at their max. I still want to feel the bass from the music. Its allright right now but I just want more. I'm only getting bass from my mids:mad: .Think Digital connection will help?

I'm probly going to get a new sound card, they are pretty cheap and come with a digital coax out. Does anybody have any good suggestions. Thanks

T

Tod

Audioholic
Sorry, I'm still stuck at the line out solution for computer-receiver audion. I'd think a digital out would be better, but you'd have to try it...

And play a bit more. I've gotten mine so that except for the fact that it's compressed files, the music sounds great with plenty of bass and no major distortion problems.

xboxweasel

xboxweasel

Full Audioholic
I am doing something similar as nuance. When I turn the volume up I start to hear static. PC sound cards generate a lot of noise. Mine is integrated onto the motherboard. Perhaps an upgrade to a highend Creative Labs (X-Fi Elite Pro) would improve overall aound quality. For now I just keep the volume down. Spending an extra $300 just to listen to MP3s while I surf the web is a little too much right now.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
xboxweasel said:
I am doing something similar as nuance. When I turn the volume up I start to hear static. PC sound cards generate a lot of noise. Mine is integrated onto the motherboard. Perhaps an upgrade to a highend Creative Labs (X-Fi Elite Pro) would improve overall aound quality. For now I just keep the volume down. Spending an extra $300 just to listen to MP3s while I surf the web is a little too much right now.
No need to spend that much. I have tried a Soundblaster Live! 24 bit PCI card. It has very low noise(far below audibility), a very good built in headphone amplifier, and multi-channel output capability(via analog) and a digital out. I can find no faults that would be considered to affect audible performance, regardless of the system that is played through, so long as you set up the Creative control panel options properly. This is a $30 product.

-Chris

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Another good inexpensive card, if you can find one, is the now discontinued Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. I had one in my old computer but opted to try the Audigy 2 ZS for the new machine.

One feature of the Santa Cruz that I thought was cool is their 'Versa Jack'. It is software switchable from headphone out to digital out to line-in.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
There is no need to spend that much on the X-Fi. All of the X-Fi cards are physically identical with identical specs. The accessories differ between models and one has extra onboard RAM for sound processing.

The signal to noise ratio of the X-Fi is 109db, which is excellent. I do not hear any noise with mine (X-Fi Xtreme Music) when I turn the volume all the way up.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis