Display tech guide: RPTV max res

P

pam

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi

According to the table at the end of the display resolution guide, the max resolution for Direct View and RPTV is 720X540 (see URL=http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/specsformats/displays_LCD_DLP_plasma8.html]Display resolution guide[/URL]).

Can someone confirm?

Because a few months ago I bought a Hitachi 57S500 and they have two display mode: 540p and 1080i.

Thanks</font>

<font color='#000080'>Most CRTs are set for a max of 480p, 540p or 1080i, though if you factor in computer monitors and such, the resoution can go up to 2048 x 1536 (though max native is usually more like 1600 x 1200).

Suffice it to say that many new TVs are displaying inputs at 540p or 1080i by default as it requires the same scanning frequency.

Thanks for pointing out a potential misunderstanding - I &nbsp;updated the chart to read 720 x 540p/1080i.</font>

P

pam

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi Hawke

I still don't understand: resolution is not expressed in term of interlace or progressive.

I would expect 720X480 or 1920X1080 or something in that style. For example according to the following document: 57S500 specifications my television can accept: 1080i/720p/540p/480p/480i but has a resolution of <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1280 Horizontal TV Lines of Resolution</td></tr></table>. This give a resolution of 22740X1280 (if you keep the ratio of 1.75), far more than all fixed pixel technology under 10,000 $.

Please comment: Should I trust the Hitachi specification sheets. Because if this is not true, I will return my television.

Thanks</font>

<font color='#000080'>As I mentioned, CRTs have the ability to do multiple resolutions, so many TV manufacturers are releasing sets at varying resolutions - it's hard to keep track.

In my article I did, however, provide numbers for only standard definition (4:3) Oops again.

Here's the general idea for the formula, though I won't be surprised if manufacturers are stretching the limits and arriving at greater resolutions:

1280/x = 16/9

x = 720(p) vertical resolution

With the additional note that your TV is using the flexibility of CRT technology to also display at 1080i when needed.

I wouldn't take the set back based on numbers - heck, I can't even keep it straight apparently.  
&nbsp; How does it look?</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pam

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi

TV looks very good but I need to change DVD player and get HDTV signals. But with my old 480i DVD, the picture is already very good.</font>

<font color='#000080'>Isn't that funny... we upgrade in one area and all of a sudden it ripples through to other things... Next the cable will start to look horrid and you'll start getting into HDTV antennas and HD cable services...

It never ends once you go HD!  
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pam

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Yes it actually gets worst:
- I need to get another DVD (getting another DVD means that I will most likely get DVD-A and SACD);
- With Multi-audio, I need another receiver;
- Getting a new receiver will allow me to have 7.1 so I have to match an buy two side speakers (my NHT 2.5i are presently in the back);
- Getting HDTV signals means that I will have to get either Satellite or cable (not much offer in Canada) with probably a high-definition DVR (not available in Canada) because I hate to listen to commercials.

So at the end of the day:
- new DVD (with IEEE 1394 (hoping));
- sat or cable with HD DVR;
- new receiver (with IEEE 1394 (hoping));
- two side speakers (notwithstanding the difficulty to match NHT 2.5i speakers with duopole speakers).

Then when all of this is bought, I will be out in technology.. That's life!

BTW, I am thinking of getting Axiom QS8 to match with my speakers. Any recommendations?</font>

P

pam

Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
hawke : <font color='#000000'>1280/x = 16/9

x = 720(p) vertical resolution</font>
<font color='#000000'>If the text:
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1280 Horizontal TV Lines of Resolution</td></tr></table>
makes sense, it would mean:
x/1280 = 16/9

x= 2275 vertical resolution.

In this case the 1080i could be displayed entirely.

On the other hand, I tried to look at Sony's, Samsung's and Toshiba's site for some of their rear projection CRT base telivision and none seems to show the resolution. This would tend to prove your point (if it would be so good why not brag about it?).

So it seems that the 1080i virtual HD mode would in fact be scalling down the signal from 1080i to a 720p (is it really p?).

I think that this site allows to bring some honesty in a world where everybody seems to be sayaing half lies. How can some one understand the following text:
1280 lines
It seems that it actually means 1280 columns.

I have to say that even if my TV is very good, I feel a bit cheated. I was expecting this TV to give me all information in 1080i, it is not the case, 33% of my signal is thrown out to garbage(720 lines). With 7% overscan, I am now down to 670...</font>

P

pam

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi

I have asked the question again (on another forum) and the answer was that most RPTV (including my Hitachi 57S500) are 1280X1080i. I trust the source but it does not tell me why Hitachi says '1289 lines of horizontal resolution'. It would be 1280 columns.

They say that it was 60% of HDTV which is 1920X1080. Also that broadcast equipment limitations does not go more than 1400X1080.

Any comments?

BTW, I have sent an e-mail to Hitachi about this but they did not even bother to send back an acknowledgment of my e-mail.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis