Disney WOW and Spears and Munsil good for qled picture calibration?

P

Polish023

Junior Audioholic
Just wondering on everybody’s thoughts on calibrating a qled tv with blu rays or uhd blu rays? Compared to just factory settings?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Just wondering on everybody’s thoughts on calibrating a qled tv with blu rays or uhd blu rays? Compared to just factory settings?
Better than factory definitely. If it were me I'd do a day and night calibration for different lighting.

P

Polish023

Junior Audioholic
Which disc is better? I want to get a uhd blu rays player sometime is it better to get the uhd disc or just use a regular Blu-ray Disc instead?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Which disc is better? I want to get a uhd blu rays player sometime is it better to get the uhd disc or just use a regular Blu-ray Disc instead?
Spears and Munsil. If you bought a high end display I'd have a professional ISF calibration, as you paid the money for the best picture.

P

Polish023

Junior Audioholic
I’ll have to look into Spears and Munsil!!! What’s a professional ISF Calibration?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
ISF iirc is imaging science foundation.

P

ParisB

Audioholic
Discs like that are more for basic optimization. I know people use those words interchangeably but calibration means taking measurements of patterns with a colorimeter and adjusting the greyscale and color CMS values for accuracy.

Disney WoW is only SDR by the way, and it's good overall. The M&S UHD has a ton more test patterns, and demo material in HDR and dolby vision etc. But not sure how useful most of them really are beyond putting your TV through various tests to find issues.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Discs like that are more for basic optimization. I know people use those words interchangeably but calibration means taking measurements of patterns with a colorimeter and adjusting the greyscale and color CMS values for accuracy.

Disney WoW is only SDR by the way, and it's good overall. The M&S UHD has a ton more test patterns, and demo material in HDR and dolby vision etc. But not sure how useful most of them really are beyond putting your TV through various tests to find issues.
Indeed they are basic in comparison to accessing the service menu and adjusting with professional calibration tools. But for the price of admission the s&m disk is excellent.
Personally, I think it’s stupid that displays come out of the box totally F-ed, and an ISF calibration is like bringing your brand new C7(vette) for a tune up.

P

ParisB

Audioholic
Indeed they are basic in comparison to accessing the service menu and adjusting with professional calibration tools. But for the price of admission the s&m disk is excellent.
Personally, I think it’s stupid that displays come out of the box totally F-ed, and an ISF calibration is like bringing your brand new C7(vette) for a tune up.
Totally agree. I own both discs, if anything for my piece of mind (have also calibrated since then). It's crazy how inaccurate some TVs are out of the box, even in "movie" presets. I really wish manufacturers just included 2 modes (one accurate, one juiced up for average Joe) instead of like 7 inaccurate modes. These days there's no excuse for not having accurate Black, White, and Color temperature out of the box.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I agree. The variations of the displays on different production runs and lighting conditions make it harder. The TOL displays should come with at least a spider or other measurement tool for setup. I'm not saying it can take the place of a full ISF, but it would be feature I'd welcome.

I was scheduling both of my Plasma displays for every 20k hours, and a total of of 6 inputs calibrated. I'm now down to 1 plasma and the pic measures absolutely phenomenal still.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hope I’m not giving away my cash cow! Lol
But what if tv makers could send with every display, a cheap octopus colorimeter or something and do an auto setup like audyssey or ypao etc. a cell phone app thing might work but I think variances in the camera might make it useless. Idk, just has to be something better...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Never liked the Disney disc. I have used Spears & Munsil for years.

Oppo actually included it with the 105 when I bought it, but not the 205. I had to buy the updated version myself.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hope I’m not giving away my cash cow! Lol
But what if tv makers could send with every display, a cheap octopus colorimeter or something and do an auto setup like audyssey or ypao etc. a cell phone app thing might work but I think variances in the camera might make it useless. Idk, just has to be something better...
The lower end colorimeters aren't that badly priced as long as you don't mind the time investment, would be kind of cool if a tv came packaged with that. Kind of like buying a measurement mic etc.....seems they've gone up in price a bit on the low end since last I looked, this is Spectra Cal's cheapest unit https://store.portrait.com/meters/oem-i1display-with-add-ons.html

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis