Disney+ Gearing Up to Take on Netflix

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
They can't hire the same actors (and writers)?

Just start S04 fresh. But use the same actors and great writers, directors. :D
They could use the same cast and crew, but it would have to indicate that it is not a continuation of the Netflix shows if Netflix does not give them permission to do so, or at least that is my understanding. I am sure Disney will want to put their own spin on these things anyway, so its just not in the cards. Disney will no doubt redo these shows, and they will pull the teeth out of these shows, so they will be bland mush.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm looking forward to S04 of Daredevil (DD) on the new DISN streaming service. :D

Who knows when, but as popular and great as DD is, there is no way DISN won't continue DD. Just a matter of time.

Punisher will most likely be cancelled by NFLX also and continue on DISN.
Hate to break it to you but they've already said they won't. And if they ever bring those properties back it will be all new actors, stories, etc.

Disney also said that all of its content will be "family friendly." No way that Daredevil's level of violence will make it. I don't know if others have noticed, but the Star Wars and Marvel movies under Disney have violence and death, but a distinct lack of visual blood or sex. So even their "adult" content is in no way "graphic."

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
if they ever bring those properties back it will be all new actors
Why? Is there such a legal clause that prevents DISN from hiring the same actors, writers, directors if they wanted to?

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Why? Is there such a legal clause that prevents DISN from hiring the same actors, writers, directors if they wanted to?
True, they probably could bring back the Netflix actors, but would you enjoy Charlie Cox as Daredevil when literally everything else about the show is different from the version you fell in love with? I'm not sure those guys would want the role because it's only a character name with the soul sucked out of it. Would be like getting bought out by Audiovox. o_O

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I suspect that if you subscribe to any streaming service you are paying for stuff you never watch. If you subscribe to Netflix do you watch every movie or series they offer? Amazon? Hulu? HBO Now?, etc...

Paying for only what you wish to watch, even now, is almost certainly an illusion. Even when you purchase a movie on disk you still likely get things with it (that are part of the cost) that you never watch. Previews, Credits, for many the Extra's, alternate soundtracks/languages, etc...

Even if you could pay for a single channel to get it only would you watch all that is on it? If not, you are still paying for more than you watch. Sorry to ruin the illusion for some of you but you will rarely, if ever, get to pay for only the part that you want to watch.

IMHO, eventually people will need to concentrate on getting the most affordable package that gives them access to the content they wish to have the most. This will likely be the least expensive way to get all the content that you wish to have. Going the piecemeal route in hopes of saving money will likely cost more or be more work than it will be worth in the long run. The real question here is will the package option even be available in the future?
That's not the point any of us are making. Nobody is saying they get Netflix with the intention of watching ALL of the content they offer. Not possible.

It's more like buying cable and wanting to subscribe to the DIY channel because you like tons of shows on that channel only to be told you HAVE to get 15 other channels you have no intention of watching, but have to pay for.

In streaming it'd be like "you want Disney+? Well, you have to get the ABC, ESPN+, Marvel, and whatever else streaming packages too". When that sort of thing happens, the services will lose customers.

Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon are so successful right now because they have content from tons of different channels/studios. If all those studios/channels remove their content from those services to start their own service streaming will be no different than cable, and it will be more expensive. If that ever happens and Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon only have their own original content, then their value decreases exponentially. Right now, if you have those three services you can damn near watch everything. There are exceptions, but not many. Hell, I get HBO Now from Hulu for $5/month when EVERYWHERE else it's $15. $5 is worth it to me, $15 is not.

Darenwh

Darenwh

Audioholic
That's not the point any of us are making. Nobody is saying they get Netflix with the intention of watching ALL of the content they offer. Not possible.

It's more like buying cable and wanting to subscribe to the DIY channel because you like tons of shows on that channel only to be told you HAVE to get 15 other channels you have no intention of watching, but have to pay for.

In streaming it'd be like "you want Disney+? Well, you have to get the ABC, ESPN+, Marvel, and whatever else streaming packages too". When that sort of thing happens, the services will lose customers.

Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon are so successful right now because they have content from tons of different channels/studios. If all those studios/channels remove their content from those services to start their own service streaming will be no different than cable, and it will be more expensive. If that ever happens and Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon only have their own original content, then their value decreases exponentially. Right now, if you have those three services you can damn near watch everything. There are exceptions, but not many. Hell, I get HBO Now from Hulu for $5/month when EVERYWHERE else it's $15. $5 is worth it to me, $15 is not.
I understand and I agree with you. I just believe that the value is going to go away sooner rather than later. Offering programming to Netflix for studios has been a great way to create an extra income stream even if it was a much smaller revenue stream than the traditional cable service. But as more of these studios realize that by pulling future programming away from sites like Netflix, and likely eventually from some cable broadcasters they can ask for more money from the individual subscribers if they have high enough quality content.

The incentive for Disney to offer programming to Netflix when they can demand even just $10 per subscriber by making their content exclusive makes little or no sense. The same will likely happen with more and more content. It will be interesting to see what the future holds but I suspect it will not be less money for the same content...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I understand and I agree with you. I just believe that the value is going to go away sooner rather than later. Offering programming to Netflix for studios has been a great way to create an extra income stream even if it was a much smaller revenue stream than the traditional cable service. But as more of these studios realize that be pulling future programming away from sites like Netflix, and likely eventually from some cable broadcasters they can ask for more money from the individual subscribers if they have high enough quality content.

The incentive for Disney to offer programming to Netflix when they can demand even just $10 per subscriber by making their content exclusive makes little or no sense. The same will likely happen with more and more content. It will be interesting to see what the future holds but I suspect it will not be less money for the same content...
Yeah, we're on the same page. I hope these studios realize that making it easy to have their content on one service will get them more subscribers in the long run than it would to just create their own service. Netflix has over 100 million subscribers compared to CBS all access 2.5 million. Granted, you can get CBS All Access from Amazon which makes it a bit more appealing, but they have 7 original shows. EVERYTHING else is free OTA or is on Hulu or some other service.

The bigger problem IMHO is having too many apps you'd have to choose from if everyone went to their own service. Sure it's sort of like choosing a channel from a guide, but it's not the same. That and some apps are platform specific. Some will refuse to be on Apple TV devices because of feuds between them and Apple. Kind of like Amazon and Android TV (depending on device).

If someone could come up with a way to log into all these services and have their video in one interface (Play-on sort of does this), but keep the video quality the same then it'd be a lot less of a hassle.

First world problems, am I right? :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
True, they probably could bring back the Netflix actors, but would you enjoy Charlie Cox as Daredevil when literally everything else about the show is different from the version you fell in love with? I'm not sure those guys would want the role because it's only a character name with the soul sucked out of it. Would be like getting bought out by Audiovox. o_O
As long as the creative writing, directing, and acting are the same, I don't mind giving up the blood, gore, and sex if it comes to that.

The main thing to me is always the character development, writing, and directing, not the blood, gore, expletives, and sex.

But I think you and Shady are probably correct on this. DISN will find a way to screw up Daredevil.

I'm just being very optimistic and hope DISN won't screw it up.

Last edited:
Darenwh

Darenwh

Audioholic
Could you imagine a Disney version of 'Game of Thrones'? Something tells me it just would not be the same...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Could you imagine a Disney version of 'Game of Thrones'? Something tells me it just would not be the same...
No, I can't imagine DISN with any version of Game of Thrones. :eek:

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis