Disney+ and IMAX Enhanced Movies

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
This afternoon, I plan to watch Guardians of the Galaxy on Disney+ and experience the DTS:X sound from the AVR. If it makes a more sound experience, I might look at their other movies in IMAX Enhanced format w DTS:X I just have to remember to change the Audio setting in the AVR.

Perhaps some of you have some comments......sound improvement experience or not?

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
This afternoon, I plan to watch Guardians of the Galaxy on Disney+ and experience the DTS:X sound from the AVR. If it makes a more sound experience, I might look at their other movies in IMAX Enhanced format w DTS:X I just have to remember to change the Audio setting in the AVR.

Perhaps some of you have some comments......sound improvement experience or not?
Disney Plus Imax Enhanced is featured with Dolby Atmos and not DTS-X even though DTS-X is supposed to be the immersive audio standard for Imax Enhanced movies. Anyway, Imax Enhanced is a scam.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I didn't think IMAX DTS:X had gone live yet on Disney+. It's supposed to turn up before summer, but who knows? It'll be a pisser for many as it will be limited to certain TVs and devices to start and many streaming devices and TVs do not support DTS at all so a full roll out won't matter at all in those cases.

If we have to go out and get new equipment to watch movies streamed in DTS-X on Disney Plus, then it's dead already. Anyway, I don't see DTS-X being something better than Dolby Atmos.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Some will use that update to justify the purchase of new equipment.;)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think we had a thread about this earlier when they released Black Panther 2 or something in IMAX enhanced. I also watched The Marvels in enhanced and I can't say it really made a difference to me. That also might be mitigated by the fact that they were both not so good... Guardians 3 was pretty decent. For me on the PS5, everything is converted to Atmos so I can't say I noticed a difference in audio.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The IMAX Enhanced versions offer nothing more than an expanded aspect ratio for many at the moment. Those silly enough to buy the Apple Vision Pro monstrosity can watch the IMAX Enhanced Disney+ offerings in 3D as well.

I found that, while the IMAX Enhanced version of a title will play by default on some devices, it will not do so with others and some may wonder what the fuss is about in those cases. They would need to actually select the IMAX Enhanced version manually. Only some of the IMAX Enhanced titles feature the IMAX Enhanced 1.90:1 aspect ratio for the entire run time.

Once released, I’d be interested to read the comparisons of the DTS:X versions to the Dolby Atmos versions of those titles.

IMG_4576.jpeg

IMG_4577.jpeg

IMG_4578.jpeg

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
IMAX with low bitrate is just more of the subpar picture filling the whole screen.
These need to be on disc, but we all know that's not going to happen.

These have been out for two years now.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Disney Plus Imax Enhanced is featured with Dolby Atmos and not DTS-X even though DTS-X is supposed to be the immersive audio standard for Imax Enhanced movies. Anyway, Imax Enhanced is a scam.
Yes, I stand corrected!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
There still seems to be some confusion in other forums over the flavor of DTS:X being used here. It, like streamed Atmos/DD+, will be lossy and uses DTS HD High Resolution Audio, not lossless DTS HD Master Audio.

While some devices use Dolby MAT 2.0 to convert signals to LPCM and retain Atmos metadata for output, there is no equivalent process for DTS:X. The source device will have to support a DTS bitstream for output or the user is f#%ked.

Some don’t think there will be any difference in sound compared to Dolby Atmos versions. Some may think it sounds better because DTS comes in hot and louder is better, right? Time will tell.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
There still seems to be some confusion in other forums over the flavor of DTS:X being used here. It, like streamed Atmos/DD+, will be lossy and uses DTS HD High Resolution Audio, not lossless DTS HD Master Audio.

While some devices use Dolby MAT 2.0 to convert signals to LPCM and retain Atmos metadata for output, there is no equivalent process for DTS:X. The source device will have to support a DTS bitstream for output or the user is f#%ked.

Some don’t think there will be any difference in sound compared to Dolby Atmos versions. Some may think it sounds better because DTS comes in hot and louder is better, right? Time will tell.
As far as I know from what little Imax Enhanced DTS I've heard, it doesn't suffer the severe volume drop that Atmos can be prone to.
As far as the mix goes...hard to tell the difference.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis