Disconnect AC plug from outlet when connecting speaker cables to receiver ?

S

Subzero11

Enthusiast
In the receiver manual it says to disconnect AC plug from the wall electric outlet when connecting the speaker wire to the receiver, Is this really necessary isn't the receiver being turned off good enough ? Do you guys unplug the receiver from a outlet/surge protector when hooking up/ or disconnecting the speaker wire ?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
If it's a quick two second job I just turn it off. If it's more than that I'll unplug everything that I'll be dealing with.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
In the receiver manual it says to disconnect AC plug from the wall electric outlet when connecting the speaker wire to the receiver, Is this really necessary isn't the receiver being turned off good enough ?

The receiver being off is good enough. My guess is that the manufacturer is being extra cautious, so that you will know it is really off. Also, if you accidentally turn it back on while you have the speaker wires disconnected, they may be touching each other and short out the output with nasty consequences. It would be very easy to accidentally turn something back on again, as it is often a slight touch of one button. But you will not accidentally plug it back in so easily.

Do you guys unplug the receiver from a outlet/surge protector when hooking up/ or disconnecting the speaker wire ?

Absolutely not. Now, when I get a new receiver, I always plug in all of the wires to it before plugging the receiver into an outlet. But I do not unplug it to change a speaker connection.

So, the bottom line is this: It is not necessary to do more than shut it off, but if you make a mistake and accidentally bump the power button, you may wish you had followed the instructions in your manual.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
In the receiver manual it says to disconnect AC plug from the wall electric outlet when connecting the speaker wire to the receiver
It is the same reason a firearm manual warns you to never point an "unloaded" gun at anything you don't mind shooting. ;)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
It is the same reason a firearm manual warns you to never point an "unloaded" gun at anything you don't mind shooting. ;)
Yup, switching it off is fine, unplugging it is an insurance policy.

If you are doing a lot of swapping, then it is nice to have it all plugged into 1 surge protector with its own power switch, then you basically unplug everything at once.

J

JMJVK

Audioholic
I rarely unplug, but I do turn off. Because I seldom try to do stuff behind my receivers while I'm standing in front of them there is little risk of an accidental power-up. That said, when I do toy behind my receivers standing in front of them, it is typically to plug/unplug an HDMI or TOSLink. I never toy with speakers wires unless I'm safely behind the receivers, and previously turned the volume down to nothing, and then muted it before shutting down the amp.

An accidental power up with tangled speaker leads can be disastrous, so manufacturers are probably trying to minimize the amount of customer-damaged units coming back on warranty because of speaker lead being short-circuited by dumb and careless dweebs.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It should state in the manual: "This step is to prevent stupid." Extra precaution as mentioned, not 100% necessary, but you SHOULD, ALWAYS turn off the amp before swapping cables.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis