Discolored speaker wire - trash?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I have some Radio Shack 12 Ga speaker wire that has been knocking around for over a decade. It has darkened significantly over the years (the insulation is clear so I can see this has happened in the middle of 12' lengths).
Compared to new wires I have it is the difference between a brand new penny and on old one that is a dull dark brown instead of copper colored.
Should I care?
Thanks!

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
In reality, there's probably no audible difference. People have argued about this on audio forums, including this one, for over a decade. If you were planning to solder the ends you need to clean them first to get a clean connection, but my question is, why bother with this stuff? I recommend recycling it and buying fresh cable.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have some Radio Shack 12 Ga speaker wire that has been knocking around for over a decade. It has darkened significantly over the years (the insulation is clear so I can see this has happened in the middle of 12' lengths).
Compared to new wires I have it is the difference between a brand new penny and on old one that is a dull dark brown instead of copper colored.
Should I care?
Thanks!
That cable is fine. All there is, is a little oxidation of the outside of the copper. This is normal with age and of NO functional consequence at all. Save the world's copper and put those cables to good use.

vsound5150

vsound5150

Audioholic
Sometimes the old stuff is pure and better quality metal, but if it were me it would be in the trash yesterday. I used to work on old vintage Volkswagen bugs pre-1957 and that crowd was always in search of the old OEM German wiring to keep the headlights and other electrical running best on a 6V car battery.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Sooner or later one of your girlfriends is gonna need that wire but isn't gonna wanna pay for it. Take it out in trade.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I dunno....could be cheap copper clad aluminum wire. Whatever the case, with any corrosion showing and assuming dry storage I would toss it. A $33 100' roll of Oxygen Free Copper from Monoprice would replace it with assure it's not crappy wire.

J

jmalecki05

Junior Audioholic
I probably am using the same radio shack wire from 15 years ago. While I used new wire for my home theater upgrade, the older wire is perfectly functional. I use for my living room and will use when I move speakers to my garage. Plus, I was able to give the rest to a friend who is just getting into home audio :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
That cable is fine. All there is, is a little oxidation of the outside of the copper. This is normal with age and of NO functional consequence at all. Save the world's copper and put those cables to good use.
Dip oxidized ends of cable into vinegar for 30mins or so. clean/wipe the rest of gunk and enjoy. Fully agree with Mark on this.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Dip oxidized ends of cable into vinegar for 30mins or so. clean/wipe the rest of gunk and enjoy. Fully agree with Mark on this.
Personally, I think it's trashy cable. I have part of a roll of 10ga zip cord with transparent insulation that's about 14 years old, and the wire still looks like the day I bought it. Yeah, the discolored stuff will sound the same, but it looks like crap. And taking it to a recycler still saves the copper. Some of you guys are so tight I'll bet you squeak when you walk. ;-)

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Old cable always seems to have a waxy/dirty feel to it when working with it making connections. Personally. I don't care for cleaning stranded wire or including it onto my posts or other connections but I would use it anyway if that's what I had. Just recently though, the old cable I had had already been used a few times and wasn't quite long enough.

I use old speaker wire for decoy wire in the junk box. So when someone needs wire for whatever, they steal that first instead of my better stuff.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis