Disc vs Streaming 4K content

T

theanalogkid

Audiophyte
Hello all,

I invested in an Oppo UDP-203 a few months back and love it. It does a really great job. Now, the Apple TV 4K is out there and can play 4K HDR/DolbyVision content. I'm curious if visually there'd be much if any difference between a disc at 4K and streaming the same 4K content?

Thanks!

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
According to online reviews that I have read, the data compression for streaming 4k makes it generally inferior to 4k discs. For example:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/10/apple-tv-4k-review-ambition-meet-reality/

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/27/apple-tv-4k-review/

And the same is true in other countries; for example:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/1403977/blu-ray-vs-streaming-which-has-the-best-quality

That is consistent with my experience with streaming 1080p versus 1080p BD discs, and streaming SD content versus DVDs. The discs are pretty much always better, as they pretty much always use less data compression. However, whether you will notice any difference or not is another matter, as, judging from what I have seen and what I have read people claiming online about the size of their TVs and how far they sit from their TVs, most people sit too far away from their TVs for 4k to matter.

Also, of course, your internet connection must be good enough to stream the data, which, presumably, you have already checked and made sure your internet connection is fast enough.

There is also the issue of sound quality, and, again, you should expect the disc to generally win in that competition as well.

Bottom line is, if you want the best source, get the disc. But streaming may be good enough, depending on how picky you are.

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
^^
Well said. Although streaming can generally be very acceptable to most, and is sometimes even quite good, there can at time certainly be a noticeable distinction between the streaming version and the disc version. Even with 1080p content. Recently, it was most noticeable with Moana where I streamed it just to see the difference between that and the bit-for-bit blu-ray copy on my Kaleidescape system. No comparison in that instance. On the Netflix version, the colors were more muted, I'd see slight artifacting, and the soundtrack lacked the clarity and overall oomph that I was used to. Don't get me wrong, it would've certainly been good enough for most kids (and even most adults), but I've been spoiled enough to where I only want the best. That was via a 4K Apple TV for what it's worth.

My biggest problem with streaming is how VARIABLE the experience can be during a single viewing. At least where I'm at, sometimes it bounces between HD and SD, or goes from 5.1 to 2.0 stereo then back. It can really take you out of a scene. Really annoying. And sometimes your internet decides to burp and you get kicked out momentarily.

It's beyond just quality, but the overall experience to me. But no matter what, I am such a huge fan of proper 4K HDR with Atmos or DTS:X, that when it comes time for a proper movie session, I go to the disc/Kaleidescape versions 100% that it's an option.

Don't get me wrong. Streaming is fantastic for TV shows or original content, but I don't know if I will ever abandon my physical or home-stored media.

P

pwlong

Audioholic Intern
Agree with you on the variability of the experience being an issue with streaming.

When it's movie night and you've got friends coming over to make it an event, it only takes a glitchy internet connection (yes they still exist for some of us in rural areas) during "prime time" evening hours to bump the quality around a bit to taint the experience. And you're right -- not everyone notices the subtle changes in color, bitrate or sound quality -- but I too notice these things.

Maybe it's a control issue, or that I've invested a not-insignificant amount into my theater, but I agree that for a "proper movie session" the original source is the best way to ensure a consistent experience.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis