Direct vs. dipole for rear surround.

S

steinoch

Junior Audioholic
This topic has likely already been discused so point me in the right direction if this is the case.

My home theater room(living room) has 12' ceilings where the rear of the room ends with a counter-top, at the same time the ceiling drops down apporximately four feet(see picture). The small black marks in the picture are arrows point to the speakers plug-ins....The room is pre-wired for 5.1; therefore aproximately eight feet back and ten feet up from the listening area there are outlets for the rear surrounds. I'm thinking directional or perhaps bipole speakers would be more appropriate(as opposed to dipole). What does everyone think?

Second question. If I was to add side-surrounds in addition to these rear(7.1): again dipole or direct?

Thanks!

Attachments

D

dillweed

Junior Audioholic
The question you are asking is a matter of preference. Now that almost everyone is using DD 5.1 the "need" for dipole/bipole is less signifigant as it was for Dobly Pro Logic. If it were my 5.1 system I would use direct as rears but I know many people that would argue di/bi is supirior.

Bottom line is only your ears will know what they like. Bring some of both types home for 30 days listen for yourself.

Either way you go I am sure that you will enjoy. The fact that you have your surrounds ten feet in the air as opposed to 3 feet of the ground where many people keep them will be a major plus.

S

steinoch

Junior Audioholic
DW

Direct it is for the rear surrounds.

I think I'll go for 7.1 and use side surrounds that can be switched dipole or bipole and go with which sounds better.

Thanks!

81orangeZ28

Enthusiast
Movies or Music

I had a set of Paradigm bipols initially. I thought they were great for movies. It really felt like they made they sound stage bigger. I listen to alot of 5.1 music and didn't really like the bipols for that. When listening to music I prefer to have a more direct sound. I have recently changed to the mini-monitors for my rears and don't regret it. They sound great with movies and just change the angle that my speaker is facing when watching movies to get a more spacious sound.

Once again it is a matter of preference

H

HTFUN

Audiophyte
81orangeZ28,

Do you have your mini monitors on stands or against a wall. I have mini monitors as rears and since moving to my new place, I am unable to place them on stands. I was considering placing them on shelves on the left and right wall but wasn't sure how far away from the wall they need to be?

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
tedmjr2 said:
Interesting reading from Home Theater Magazine. Face Off: Surround-Speaker-Configuration Wars

Take a look at the following link:
http://www.hometheatermag.com/bootcamp/25/index.html
Ted, that's a very good artical. I only have one question (and maybe the answer was in there but I missed it) did they use a true 6.1 receiver for the 6.1 test and a true 7.1 receiver for the 7.1 test ? I wonder if their experience might be the result of a poor mixing (or de-mixing, as the case may be) job by a 7.1 system into 6.1 speakers ? :confused: The sound might be different using a system designed from the ground up for 6.1.... :confused:

still a good read. :)

81orangeZ28

Enthusiast
HTFUN said:
81orangeZ28,

Do you have your mini monitors on stands or against a wall. I have mini monitors as rears and since moving to my new place, I am unable to place them on stands. I was considering placing them on shelves on the left and right wall but wasn't sure how far away from the wall they need to be?
Yes I do have my Mini's on stands. Sanus system 24 in tall stands. I don't know what your room is like but in my old apartment I did not have room for stands and did not like the looks of wall or ceiling mounts so I did this: I bought some heavy duty black shoe strings. I placed hooks on my wall and tied the two shoe strings to make two loops. I just wrapped the loops around my speaker and the hooks. It sounds wierd I know but it worked and it looked good. I got alot of compliments from it. Just an idea.

T

tedmjr2

Junior Audioholic
Leprkon,

From the article, the electronics used were: Lexicon MC-1 with the THX Surround EX upgrade played through Parasound and B&K amplifiers.

The MC-1 digital controller (music & cinema processor) can process both 6.1 & 7.1 - although there is not yet a true discrete 7.1 yet.

I believe that 7.1 receivers supercede 6.1. You can just use one of the two rear surround channels (ususally the left rear channel) to just have a 6.1 setup.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis