Dirac Live Room Correction Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Among room correction EQ programs, Dirac Live has garnered a reputation for being one of the most effective solutions for removing the room from interfering with the sound. It accomplishes this by correcting problems with the time-arrival in sound as well as the frequency response. Other room correction equalizers ignore the time domain, but a complete solution isn't possible without addressing the time domain since latent arrivals from acoustic reflections are apart of what colors the frequency response in the first place. Let's take a brief look at how it accomplishes this, and some of the other neat features that comprise the Dirac Live package.

Dirac.jpg

Read: Dirac Live Room Correction Preview

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Among room correction EQ programs, Dirac Live has garnered a reputation for being one of the most effective solutions for removing the room from interfering with the sound. It accomplishes this by correcting problems with the time-arrival in sound as well as the frequency response. Other room correction equalizers ignore the time domain, but a complete solution isn't possible without addressing the time domain since latent arrivals from acoustic reflections are apart of what colors the frequency response in the first place. Let's take a brief look at how it accomplishes this, and some of the other neat features that comprise the Dirac Live package.

View attachment 23548

Actually, any eq applied to a minimum phase response aberration will simultaneously correct the phase and response. IIR filters can only address phase and frequency simultaneously, while FIR filters are capable of independent adjustments.

The problems I have with most room correction software is that they try to address high frequencys above the room transition, based on a target curve that may or may not be appropriate in consideration with the room and speakers. Think of the xcurve, many have questioned its validity, and the same argument applied to target curves at higher frequencies above the rooms transition.

Secondly, a completely flat LF response sounds wrong and is not perceived as accurate, Harman's testing discovered that most people prefer a natural amount of room gain, (about a 6dB shelving at around 60hz), when testing various DRC software, ones that targeted a ruler flat LF response when normalized to the midrange and treble were rated as thin and bright sounding.

Iirc, Dirac is said to be a whole lot better than audyssey, and I believe it allows you to customize it a whole lot more.

I'm still skeptical, unfortunately microphones simply do not discriminate the same way our ears do.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic

View attachment 23548

Gene, would it be possible to test the different available room correction EQ programs and list the Pros and Cons ?

R

Richard Berg

Audioholic Intern
Harman's testing discovered that most people prefer a natural amount of room gain, (about a 6dB shelving at around 60hz)
I wonder to what extent this gets baked into recordings nowadays?

S

Schrodinger23

Audioholic Intern
Harman's testing discovered that most people prefer a natural amount of room gain, (about a 6dB shelving at around 60hz), when testing various DRC software, ones that targeted a ruler flat LF response when normalized to the midrange and treble were rated as thin and bright sounding.
Do you have a reference for this? I’d like to see the specific target curve that Harman’s research has found sounds best.

B

Benevolent Overlord

Audiophyte
This is helpful, but can it be used to analyze a room with the aim of achieving optimal speaker placement, locating suckouts, hotspots, etc.? If and/or where to place acoustical treatments, furniture, media and/or equipment racks? Subwoofer, possibly multiple, placement? switching out different speakers for those with collections? Perhaps to evaluate any effects of interconnects, speaker wire, etc. on a system?
I would think that it would be optimal to physically arrange the room to require as little correction as possible given the limitations of the space etc.
Is there anything out there that would help someone to do this? On their own?

W

William Sommerwerck

Enthusiast
I don't know why, but people still don't "get it" about minimum phase. A minimum-phase system does not necessarily have equal "time displacement" at all frequencies.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Do you have a reference for this? I’d like to see the specific target curve that Harman’s research has found sounds best.
There are plenty of White Papers with their work. However I'd take his comments with a grain of salt FWIW

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
What AV components work with this Dirac Live Room Correction System. I have a very expensive sound bar. Would it be of benefit to this type of AV? I read about PC but do not understand how the correction data gets from the PC to the AV components.

Thank you

K

Kenco278

Enthusiast
Hi and thanks for an interesting review. Based on your description, this software only works with audio files stored on or streamed through a computer since the filters are not only created but also applied in the computer. Is this right? If so it won’t have any effect on audio from CDs, Blu-ray discs, vinyl etc., so it sounds like it would be better (a more complete solution) to have a pre-amp that can receive and apply the filters.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hi and thanks for an interesting review. Based on your description, this software only works with audio files stored on or streamed through a computer since the filters are not only created but also applied in the computer. Is this right? If so it won’t have any effect on audio from CDs, Blu-ray discs, vinyl etc., so it sounds like it would be better (a more complete solution) to have a pre-amp that can receive and apply the filters.
That's correct, although there are some pre-amps that have Dirac onboard too. If you want to use Dirac for outboard sources on your computer, you have to use your computer as a pre-amp, and that is do-able, with the right sound interface.

K

Kenco278

Enthusiast
Thanks for pointing that out, I had no idea I could use my computer as a preamp. You piqued my interest so I’m going to look into it. All the best.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks for pointing that out, I had no idea I could use my computer as a preamp. You piqued my interest so I’m going to look into it. All the best.
You will need a flexible pro-audio sound interface in order to do that. Onboard PC sound cards will not do the trick.

N

Niklasmagnus

Enthusiast
Hi Gene and Matt,
With reference to the great and interesting YouTube video Room correction EQ I have a question.
I’m running multi sub and have manually PEQ using Minidsp. I just purchased a second hand NAD T777 and planing to upgrade with Dirac (default <500hz). If applying Dirac, should I bypass the PEQ in minidsp and let Dirac handle everything or continue as is and let Dirac just do minor changes?
Also, any idea if Jamo D500 are good enough to EQ between 80-500hz?
Thanks
BR/ Niklas

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not them, but I like the idea of running room correction, and then adjusting with other means, after. (So in your case, I would try Dirac first, measure with REW for example, then make finite adjustments with PEQ after.) Though by everything I've seen, and depending on the Dirac program you are using, you might not need anything else.
If you are just looking for handling the room below the Schroeder Frequency, I would be prepared to move the curtain lower than 500Hz... closer to 300 depending on the room.
I'm not familiar with your speakers, but why wouldn't you strive for the best sound possible? :)

N

Niklasmagnus

Enthusiast
Thanks for you input. Since Dirac are fixing impulse response, will not PEQ (minidsp) mess things up if I do adjustment in last step?

If I Dirac can fix the response up to ~200hz I’m happy, my room is quite small so I hope that will be below Schroeder Frequency.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If the version you use allows you to set the curtain, then just look for the point in the raw graph, un-treated, for where your room response starts to smooth out on its own. I believe the smaller the room, the higher the frequency, but usually between 200-300hz. :)

I am not a Dirac user, nor do I use PEQ, so your other question is pushing outside my zone of comfort. Generally speaking, I would use room correction first, then adjust afterword. Dirac, as I understand, gives you better controls of how it works/what it does, than say Audyssey will. Depending on the version/level of Dirac, I think you can fix anything using their program, at least based on what I'm learning from listening in on some other conversations.

Beyond that, you will need to talk to somebody much more familiar with Dirac. ;)

Cheers!

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
Dirac Live does mixed-phase room correction, a combination of IIR( PEQ & Crossover) & FIR filters..,correcting for both the amplitute(vs frequency) response as well the time domain response.
So you shouldnt need to add additional PEQ filters.

Shame on me, I installed the miniDSP SHD w/Dirac Live but havent gotten to using the built-in dirac live room calibration tool yet on the minidsp.., what I've done so far, is try the Dirac room correction using Dirac for Studio on my Mac at the source..,before it hits the DSP/DAC.
Dirac Studio (part of their Pro audio tools now - separately licensed) gives me the flexibility to use any DAC and not tied to minidsp or NAD etc...,Looking at the screenshots, both seem to have the same capabilities(ie Dirac Studio on Computer vs bundled in minidsp or say NAD).
I posted a couple of screenshots of what I did with Dirac studio on my Mac ,in the other thread..,but havent done much after that.

Its very user friendly...allowing you to shape the curve the way you want...not sure I agree with reviews painting it as a complex tool with steep learning curve.

My 2 channel music setup(renovation) still progressing - delayed due to the virus - new amp & room treatment(mostly diffusion panels, acoustic curtains over glass doors) , speaker elevation, all pending due to factory closing temporarily. So I'd rather not do EQ at this point - wait for the room to take shape , before applying any room correction, as needed, after.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis