Dirac Live on PC - upmixing 2ch to 5.1

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

I am playing with Dirac Live trial version and noticed that for 2ch content my avr is not upmixing to 5.1. What could be the reason? Is upmixing in JRiver post Dirac processor DSP the only way?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi,

I am playing with Dirac Live trial version and noticed that for 2ch content my avr is not upmixing to 5.1. What could be the reason? Is upmixing in JRiver post Dirac processor DSP the only way?
I only use DL PC standalone for music and have never tried JRiver upmix, but windows/IOS should work, upmix is really done by your AVP. Will try that later today.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
I only use DL PC standalone for music and have never tried JRiver upmix, but windows/IOS should work, upmix is really done by your AVP. Will try that later today.
I also thought avr should upmix. But for some reason it doesn't work for me

Update: Changed avr properties in Windows from 5.1 to stereo and now avr is able to upmix.

Ideally I would like the format in windows to be recognized automatically and without changes be sent to avr but there is no source or default option in windows. So for true 5.1 now I down mix it to stereo only for avr to upmix it back to 5.1. not ideal...

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I also thought avr should upmix. But for some reason it doesn't work for me

Update: Changed avr properties in Windows from 5.1 to stereo and now avr is able to upmix.

Ideally I would like the format in windows to be recognized automatically and without changes be sent to avr but there is no source or default option in windows. So for true 5.1 now I down mix it to stereo only for avr to upmix it back to 5.1. not ideal...
From windows stand point, same for Mac/IOS, there probably isn't enough demand for them to go beyond what they are offering now. The HTPC users don't seem to be making noise/demands on the newest codec, the vast majority seem to be quite satisfy with even the regular 5.1. I hope they would eventually offer everything the latest 15.x.6 that some of the best popular AVPs can do, but then they might just kill the AVR/AVP market.:D

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
From windows stand point, same for Mac/IOS, there probably isn't enough demand for them to go beyond what they are offering now. The HTPC users don't seem to be making noise/demands on the newest codec, the vast majority seem to be quite satisfy with even the regular 5.1. I hope they would eventually offer everything the latest 15.x.6 that some of the best popular AVPs can do, but then they might just kill the AVR/AVP market.:D
I guess it is not a big deal to select number of channels in Dirac processor on PC. In most cases it just stereo anyway. But I wish Dirac to be a bit smarter. Wonder how many people have full Dirac + DLBC licences. Using PC is a bit inconvenient adding one more device in the process.

Would be nice if Dirac was offered as an Amazon Firestick. Just plug it in and get new functionality. Also would be nice to be able to create a chain of processing between hdmi inputs/usb, e.g. Tidal or Netflix app on Amazon Firestick plugged to hdmi1 sends output further the pipe where Dirac stick pick the signal up on hdmi2, does processing and passes further or if it is the last device in the chain then returns control to avr for another DSP or straight for DA conversion, etc.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis