Dirac Live Bass Control (DLBC), do multiple subs require separate channels?

posthuman

posthuman

Audiophyte
Ok, so I'm finalizing my dream theater, drywall is in, and I've ordered everything but the processor. I'm going with a 9.1.6 surround setup and I've stumbled over something that's confusing me. In choosing the processor I determined I want Dirac Live and DLBC specifically. In the DLBC User Guide it states that:
"Each subwoofer should have its own logical channel. Two subwoofers connected to a Y-split is not recommended."

I'm planning on getting a 16 channel processor. Which means I'm using all 15 other channels of my system for other speakers (9 surround and 6 overhead) and have the one channel for subs split out to four subwoofers... because, LFE isn't supposed to be directional. But now I read this caveat in the DLBC user guide and need guidance.

Do I ignore Dirac's advice and use a 4-way splitter?

Do I use four of my channels just to run DLBC calibration and then move them back to one channel with the splitter? Seems like that wouldn't work.

Do I need to find a processor that can handle 9.4.6 discreet (19) channels. I had been debating between the Monoprice Monolith HTP-1 and the AudioControl Maestro X7. The only "affordable" processor to handle 9.4.6 discrete channels is the Anthem AVM90... which would mean utilizing Arc Genesis Base Management instead of DLBC. I think the only other alternative would be jumping up to Trinnov Altitude 16 (which has 20 channels) Storm Audio ISP 24 MK2 (which has 24 channels.

For reference, my crazy system is going to have four RTJ 18" sub modules behind the screen... or I might put two of them in the back of the room... Or I could leave the four RTJ 18 modules behind the screen and put my two old SVS PB12-Plus subs in the back of the room. You know, to address the nulls. Oh, first world problems.

Thank you!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
According to everything I've seen on the HTP-1 owners thread from AVS: YES, each Subwoofer needs it's own channel for the Bass Control module to operate properly. If you cannot do this, then using a MiniDSP seems to be the best option. Splitters or Daisy chains will not work.
That said, the general consensus there seems to be that the DLBC module works exceptionally well and outperforms MiniDSP +REW or MSO, especially for ease of implementation.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Each sub needs its own channel. So if you get the HTP-1 for example, and want to run four subs on Dirac bass control, that eats up four channels, so now you have 12 channels for the speaker setup.

posthuman

posthuman

Audiophyte
Ok, this is exactly what I was afraid of. So some random thoughts about what I might do...

More expensive processor with more channels would still work of course. :(

I guess I could combine two of the 6 height channels? Maybe combining the rear pair of the six to regain a channel. Then I wonder if I could pair off the four subs so each stacked pair go on one channel? Behind the screen it's intended to be:
[Left Front] [2x Sub Stack] [Center Front] [2x Sub Stack] [Right Front]

It's my (perhaps flawed) understanding that if one sub is stacked literally on top of another they mutually couple and excite the same frequencies. So does that count like one sub from a calibrations standpoint and would it be ok to use a Y splitter for each pair on one channel?

Last edited:
VoidX

VoidX

Audioholic Intern
It's my (perhaps flawed) understanding that if one sub is stacked literally on top of another they mutually couple and excite the same frequencies.
Obviously not perfectly, but the 2 Y cables work in this case, the difference would be minimal (inaudible, just measurable) for a 4-way EQ.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis