Dirac active room treatment on the cheap

A

aceinc

Audioholic
When and where will I be able to get Dirac Active Room Treatment at a modest price?

I currently have a Marantz AV7704 sound processor. My 6 surround speakers are Magnepan speakers capable at a minimum of 50hz (37hz, 45hz and 50hz). Amplification is a minimum of 490 watts at 4 ohms for the surrounds, 1kw for the fronts. The 4 Atmos speakers are capable of 50hz driven by 200 watts of amplification each.

There are 5 subwoofers currently in the system, 2 OB & 3 sealed.

I think I have some of the bases covered as far as speakers & amplification.

The only processor I have seen so far which is promising this capability that will handle 7.5.4 is Storm Audio ISP 16. I don't have $12+k to spend on a processor. Where should I look for a processor in the Emotiva kind of price range with the Dirac ART capabilities?

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
When and where will I be able to get Dirac Active Room Treatment at a modest price?

I currently have a Marantz AV7704 sound processor. My 6 surround speakers are Magnepan speakers capable at a minimum of 50hz (37hz, 45hz and 50hz). Amplification is a minimum of 490 watts at 4 ohms for the surrounds, 1kw for the fronts. The 4 Atmos speakers are capable of 50hz driven by 200 watts of amplification each.

There are 5 subwoofers currently in the system, 2 OB & 3 sealed.

I think I have some of the bases covered as far as speakers & amplification.

The only processor I have seen so far which is promising this capability that will handle 7.5.4 is Storm Audio ISP 16. I don't have $12+k to spend on a processor. Where should I look for a processor in the Emotiva kind of price range with the Dirac ART capabilities?
Storm Audio has a 6 month exclusive agreement with Dirac for ART (https://www.stormaudio.com/exclusive-partner-in-the-introduction-of-dirac-live-active-room-treatment/), so you will need to wait until later in the year to see who else announces support. ART is a new and top-of-the-line feature, so do not expect it to trickle down from flagship products (think Marantz AV10, Anthem AV90, Denon A1H) for a long time to come.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
I am hoping that onkyo will include it in their flagship models, when they finally release them (!).

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
I am hoping that onkyo will include it in their flagship models, when they finally release them (!).
Honestly, the multi-year rumor mill and the lack of announcements at this year's CES has me thinking we may never see them announced and furthermore, that we may never see another Onkyo/Pioneer/Integra AVR.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Honestly, the multi-year rumor mill and the lack of announcements at this year's CES has me thinking we may never see them announced and furthermore, that we may never see another Onkyo/Pioneer/Integra AVR.
Voxx would shut the whole thing down? I can see Pioneer going by the wayside....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Storm Audio has a 6 month exclusive agreement with Dirac for ART (https://www.stormaudio.com/exclusive-partner-in-the-introduction-of-dirac-live-active-room-treatment/), so you will need to wait until later in the year to see who else announces support. ART is a new and top-of-the-line feature, so do not expect it to trickle down from flagship products (think Marantz AV10, Anthem AV90, Denon A1H) for a long time to come.
In one of the Masimo video, the presenter (Oliver, iirc) said it's being considered for future, but I think that would be limited to the AV10 and A1H. Anthem AVM90 will never have it because they won't give up their own AARC and if they do go with DL like Masimo, it would be like committing suicide lol..

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Is there a flagship class model coming out soon? I really hope so, we need competition to those affordable $7,500 AVPs.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
Is there a flagship class model coming out soon? I really hope so, we need competition to those affordable $7,500 AVPs.
They finally announced the Integra DRX 8.4 yesterday... it is a 7.2.4 AVR

For those who want more channels (esp. subs) we will have to wait for the RZ90 and its "9" series siblings I suspect.

Still at US$3200 and including Dirac Live - we have some competition in the marketplace.
With DLBC multi sub that rises to US$3700...

Let's see what street prices are like - it would fill my needs perfectly, especially if it support DL-ART come October.

Compared to the X4800, it has substantially more power, and 11.4 channels powered.
Also compared to the X4800, it has fewer seperate sub channels, 2 vs 4

For the OP, seeking 5 channels, there most likely is no cheaper option than the Storm (or a custom PC)... 5 sub channels is an unusual requirement.

But with DL-ART, and full range speakers working cooperatively, chances are 2 subs will be plenty. (finding space for the 2nd is alread difficult in my environment)

Pricewise the X4800 is cheaper, even with DLBC Multisub (US$3300 vs US$3700) but the amps in the Onkyo are both a step up in quality, and more channels / quantity... so the value seems reasonable.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
They finally announced the Integra DRX 8.4 yesterday... it is a 7.2.4 AVR

For those who want more channels (esp. subs) we will have to wait for the RZ90 and its "9" series siblings I suspect.

Still at US$3200 and including Dirac Live - we have some competition in the marketplace.
With DLBC multi sub that rises to US$3700...

Let's see what street prices are like - it would fill my needs perfectly, especially if it support DL-ART come October.

Compared to the X4800, it has substantially more power, and 11.4 channels powered.
Also compared to the X4800, it has fewer seperate sub channels, 2 vs 4

For the OP, seeking 5 channels, there most likely is no cheaper option than the Storm (or a custom PC)... 5 sub channels is an unusual requirement.

But with DL-ART, and full range speakers working cooperatively, chances are 2 subs will be plenty. (finding space for the 2nd is alread difficult in my environment)

Pricewise the X4800 is cheaper, even with DLBC Multisub (US$3300 vs US$3700) but the amps in the Onkyo are both a step up in quality, and more channels / quantity... so the value seems reasonable.
DLBC is not yet available for Denon as per Dirac website

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis