Dipole wiring for correct phase

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
I came across the attached diagram in an Audioholicarticle (page 2)

It shows that the Dipole surrounds have the forward facing speaker as + and the rear facing speaker as -, and the surround-backs have the inward facing speakers as + and the outward facing speakers as -.

Is this showing the phase for each surround? Should we wire the speakers from the amp differently for left and right surround and left and right surround-back to have the correct phase as shown in the diagram?

cheers:)

Attachments

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, you will wire them in the correct phase. The speakers will then provide in/out of phase sound based on their internal wiring. Some will allow you to switch between bipole and dipole, changing the phase of the second set of drivers.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Do you mean the correct phase to the amp(ie amp+ to speaker+, amp- to speaker-) or correct phase using the diagram.

My 4x dipoles are identical to each-other(ie no Left and right) and I have them wired up for correct phase with the amp(ie amp+ to speaker+, amp- to speaker-), But this means they are not correct for that diagram, as the:

SR and SBR are shown to have opposite phase to each-other, and
SL and SBL are shown to have opposite phase to each-other.

majorloser

majorloser

Just be careful. This only applies to di-pole speakers, not bi-pole speakers.

Some manufacturers aren't truly clear with their "polar" surround speakers.

Last edited:
You're overthinking it. :)

You don't do anything special to the dipoles in terms of wiring. Dipoles naturally have an in-phase and out-of-phase driver(s). Point the in-phase driver(s) to where the + is on the diagram.

The diagram is ensuring that you understand there is such a thing as a 'left' and 'right' dipole - and you don't want to switch them or have them firing the in-phase driver(s) backwards instead of towards the front.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
majorloser wrote:
Just be careful. This only applies to di-pole speakers, not bi-pole speakers.

Some manufacturers aren't truly clear with their "polar" surround speakers.
:eek: hehehe. OK, I assumed they were dipole as the front of the manual stated 'Diffuse Surround Loudspeaker', and after your statement I thought I'd double check the manual for them again, and sure enough they are Bipoles not Dipoles, so this thread doesn't apply to me......my bad:D

OK, still have one question about dipoles:

If dipoles are stated Left and Right(do all dipoles differentiate between left & right?) then wouldn't the SBL & SBR dipoles need to be swapped(ie put the 'left' dipole at SBR and the 'right' dipole at SBL) to have the correct + & - phase as shown in the diagram. Is this correct and do people normally do this? Or do their manuals state that the surround-backs need to be swapped to account for this? Or do you get some that state SBL & SBR which have the correct phase for them? Or is it not such a big issue to worry about.

Clint DeBoer, I think your right, maybe I do think too much:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis