Dimple in the tweeter?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I use VLR on my rubber surrounds...
As long as you spray it on a cloth first and just wipe the surface. You do not want any liquids to get on to the cones or react with the glue that attaches the surrounds to the cones and the rim. Speakers just need dusting, nothing more. The exception would be natural wood finishes like oils.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
Hey,
I was wondering. Someone is selling an axiom m3ti but the tweeter was pushed in a little. He considers it a "dimple." I asked for pictures but am unable to get any. My question is would a "dimpled" tweeter have any affect on the performance of the speaker? thanks for the help,
Yes. Much like a damaged lens will effect image quality of a photo. In this case: the interface with the air is effected, as is wave propagation across the tweeter itself (rigidity is impacted).

Will it be *noticeable*? Hard to say. Quite possibly not.

This is less of an issue when we are discussing dust covers; but those are rare on modern tweeters, so I'll assume it's the actual driver.

Listen to the speaker, perhaps pre-price out what a replacement driver would cost, then make your call. For the right price, and with a good listening test, it wouldn't stop me.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If there is no crease in the dome, there likely won't be any audible effect. With a metal tweeter though, that is more likely than with a soft dome. The M3Ti has a metal dome tweeter, and the waveguide partially protects it, so I am not sure how this person managed to get it dented (small kids possibly). The current M3 uses a soft dome, so there is a chance those drivers aren't available anymore. I'd look into that first, as the M3Ti is over 15 years old.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis