Dear Gurus

My set up is as below
AVR Yamaha a870
LR - B&W 603
C- HTM6
Front Height - Polk OWM3s
Surround - Bose 301 series V
No Sub

I always used the YPAO to calibrate the speakers and then played around with the levels for dialogues.

To learn and enhance my information I recently bought the attached Digital SPL meter and have , for the life of me, no clue about what to do with it.

I did the following steps
  1. I turned the SPL Meter ON
  2. Pressed the Fast/Slow button to set it as Slow
  3. Pressed the Max Min Button - But have no clue on why I did it
  4. Pressed the HOLD button - Again no clue what it does
  5. Placed it in a Tea Mug to hold the SPL meter at the Listening position ( no tripod screw)
  6. Switched on the Test Noise on the Yamaha AVR
  7. Watched the SPL meter changing the display as the noise went from each of the speakers- It was at around 65 to 66 for each of the speaker
  8. As the volume was low, I increased the same till the display on the SPL started showing 72 to 73
  9. Then my wife asked me what i did and i said no clue and then we had tea and I came straight to you all for Help
Please help and advise what will be the next steps and if possible a small one liner to help me understand now and apply in future.

Thank you.

Rajesh

Attachments

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Dear Gurus

My set up is as below
AVR Yamaha a870
LR - B&W 603
C- HTM6
No Sub

I always used the YPAO to calibrate the speakers and then played around with the levels for dialogues.

To learn and enhance my information I recently bought the attached Digital SPL meter and have , for the life of me, no clue about what to do with it.

5. Placed it in a Tea Mug to hold the SPL meter at the Listening position ( no tripod screw)
  7. Watched the SPL meter changing the display as the noise went from each of the speakers- It was at around 65 to 66 for each of the speaker
  8. As the volume was low, I increased the same till the display on the SPL started showing 72 to 73
  9. Then my wife asked me what i did and i said no clue and then we had tea and I came straight to you all for Help
Please help and advise what will be the next steps and if possible a small one liner to help me understand now and apply in future.

Thank you.

Rajesh
Do you have different brand center as fronts ? B & w cost a small fortune unless you buy them used . Maybe because they are so stylish?

Ultimate bass lover !! si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Dear Gurus

My set up is as below
AVR Yamaha a870
LR - B&W 603
C- HTM6
No Sub

Thank you.

Rajesh
Do you have different brand center as fronts ? B & w cost a small fortune unless you buy them used . Maybe because they are so stylish?

Free the reptile aliens

R

rgbbhat72

Junior Audioholic

Free the reptile aliens
Hi King-For the Fronts I had the PSB T5s and then moved to Polk S60 but finally set my heart on the new 603s. They sounded so clear and open and just like I want it. I also had the Polk CS10 for some time but wanted to complete the LCR hence the HTM6. The POLK CS10 is also a very Huge and excellent speaker.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Dear Gurus

My set up is as below
AVR Yamaha a870
LR - B&W 603
C- HTM6
No Sub

Thank you.

Rajesh
My prepro can be set to send noise to each of my speakers in rotation. I can then adjust the volume of center, surround, and sub output to match mains. But, since this does not quite get the job done from ears alone, I further calibrate using a free sound level app I have on my iPhone for sub, surrounds and center channels at the speaker position to output at identical levels. This process perfects the sound stage illusion very quickly and permanently.

Last edited:
R

rgbbhat72

Junior Audioholic
Thank you LoveintheHD- Most obliged to you. Spent a lot of time on the same and other web videos and tried it at home. It worked and I do see a marked difference in the way the music sounds. Damn I need to be whacked for ignoring the basics. I compared the ones that I could reference to 75 db vs the ones that YPAO gave me and there was a lot of difference. I will now watch some movies and see how it handles the Dialogue else I will crank the Centre & Front Heights a bit.
Thank you once again and If u are ever in Mumbai , the Dinner is on me. :)

R

rgbbhat72

Junior Audioholic
My prepro can be set to send noise to each of my speakers in rotation. I can then adjust the volume of center, surround, and sub output to match mains. But, since this does not quite get the job done from ears alone, I further calibrate using a free sound level app I have on my iPhone for sub, surrounds and center channels at the speaker position to output at identical levels. This process perfects the sound stage illusion very quickly and permanently.
Thank you for your suggestion. I tried the one on my Samsung Note 8 but didnt get too far

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
What do you mean ”at the speaker position”?

S

sterling shoote

But then you dont have even sound at the listening position which is where the sound is supposed to be equal from all speakers.
You might think that's the case, I did too; but, when taking the reading at listening position the result placed bass violin in front of vocals.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You might think that's the case, I did too; but, when taking the reading at listening position the result placed bass violin in front of vocals.
This is bad I suppose? Where did the other instruments get placed as a result? What are the distances between each speaker and your listening position?

S

sterling shoote

This is bad I suppose? Where did the other instruments get placed as a result? What are the distances between each speaker and your listening position?
No effect on other instruments. My listening chair is 8 feet from mains, 12 feet from sub, and about 4 feet from rear surrounds.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No effect on other instruments. My listening chair is 8 feet from mains, 12 feet from sub, and about 4 feet from rear surrounds.
In 5.1 they're just surrounds, rear surrounds come into play in a 7.1 setup. So you effectively raised the levels of your surrounds by having equal output at the speakers....

S

sterling shoote

In 5.1 they're just surrounds, rear surrounds come into play in a 7.1 setup. So you effectively raised the levels of your surrounds by having equal output at the speakers....
Yes, that's right: and, the surrounds are just placed slightly rearward from my listening chair.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When adjusted for 56db at each speaker I get an average of 48db from each speaker at listening chair.
Forgot your speakers were in your signature and I was assuming you had the same speaker at each position for some reason.....so if you're getting the same level at your listening position even though the surrounds are much closer I assume the surrounds are less sensitive than the mains?

ps Do you also tweak the delays or keep them in line with distance?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis