Digital SLR Purchase

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
So my fiancee and I are getting married this weekend, and a bunch of her family friends want to get us a digital SLR camera as a present. In order to simplify things they're probably going to just give us the cash to purchase the camera on our own (approx $800-1000, it's a group of 10 couples or so), however I haven't bought a camera in about 4 years and I know very little about the SLR space. We're willing to spend a bit more, probably as much as $1200, to get something nice. For that price range we'd like to be able to get the body, a starter lens of sorts, and have some sort of flash capability.

Would anybody be able to make a recommendation in our price range?

Last edited:
G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
So my fiancee and I are getting married this weekend, and a bunch of her family friends want to get us a digital SLR camera as a present. In order to simplify things they're probably going to just give us the cash to purchase the camera on our own (approx $800-1000, it's a group of 10 couples or so), however I haven't bought a camera in about 4 years and I know very little about the SLR space. We're willing to spend a bit more, probably as much as $1200, to get something nice. Would anybody be able to make a recommendation in our price range?
In your price I would say take a look at two cameras, Nikon D80 and Canon Rebel XSi. I would say go to the store and hold both of them to see which one you prefer but you cannot go wrong with either of them. When it comes to SLRs most people are either Canon or Nikon people so depending on who you talk to they will recommend either of them. Have you ever used an SLR before? If you I would suggest you start out with this book as well "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207106695&sr=8-1

Canons and Nikons are designed differently in the way you handle the setting like shutter speed and f-stop so that's why you should go out and hold both in your hand and see which one you like more. I prefer the Canon design but only you can decide what feels best to you. If you decide to go with the Canon I can also recommend some lenses as well to get you started.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Go with a basic body such as a Canon xti, or even xt. Spend the money on a good zoom lens. A good lens is something you'll keep forever and makes the most impact regarding image quality.

If you can afford it, I'd peek into the higher end Canon ef-s lenses, or *drool* L-series lenses. For about $1200 you should be able to pick up a good combo and bypass the standard 18-55mm lens that the xt(i)'s are packages with.

Package Deal (with non-Canon lens):
http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=E2CNDRXTB

Or you can get the xt body and this lens, which would be my choice:
http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CN1785IS

My wife and I bought this wideangle lens before we went on our trip to Hawaii... best camera investment I've made thus far:
http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CN1755IS

Might want to check out FredMiranda.com for reviews on all sorts of stuff. Best place to get good, subjective reviews:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

captiankirk28

Full Audioholic
Hi, you could also look into buying a used xti or 20D (more of a pro camera with metal body) with a low picture count so it would be like new and like was said in the other post spend more of your money on a good lens. I have a Canon 17X40 L that i use for my walk around lens because it is a wide angle ($800) and than i have a 70X200 is USM L that i use for my Zoom lens ($1700.00) but you could also look into buying your glass used so you can get better deals on them.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Thanks all for the head start!! We have a trip to Italy in June, so I'll be sure to pass along some pictures that we take with the new camera.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Check out www.dpreview.com for lots of information and thorough reviews on cameras. Also, bhphotovideo.com is a great place to shop for camera gear. They've been in business for a long time in NY and are definitely a professional shop.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Check out www.dpreview.com for lots of information and thorough reviews on cameras. Also, bhphotovideo.com is a great place to shop for camera gear. They've been in business for a long time in NY and are definitely a professional shop.
B&H is fantastic. I bought my last camera there.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I have a Nikon D80, but was going to get the Canon. Just didn't fit in my hand as well. So definately try them out. If you go with the D80 see if you can get a package with the nikon VR lense (vibration reduction). I also picked up the SB-600 flash. It has worked great.

good luck and congradulations!!

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I'd suggest either the Canon Rebel XSi or the 30D.

Don't get the XTi or 20D. Older cameras and you will really appreciate the upgrades on the 30D or XSi.

I'd personally get the XSi. The DIGIC III processor by itself makes a huge difference. It's also a lot more compact and lighter, which pros and real camera buffs don't like but us mere mortals do. Same image quality and very similar feature set, save for the XSi's DIGIC III processor.

The lens that comes with the XSi package, the 18-55mm IS lens, is one of the better kit lenses. Very sharp, and IS lets you shoot handheld down to 1/5 s.

Spend money on good glass when you decide how you're going to be shooting.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Get a new SLR body, either Canon or Nikon(I recommend one of these due to the huge used lens market); but make sure the body can accept all of the older style lenses, including auto focus/exposure interface(the newer lowest line Nikon for example, lacks such ability, if I remember correctly). Then buy used pro-level lenses from eBay or a reliable used store. A high grade lens is so much better as compared to the consumer oriented products; the pro-grade lenses have far less light loss(allowing you to get better low light images) and generally have considerably sharper images when moving out from center of the image(where as consumer lenses generally lose more sharpness as you move farther from the center and approach the edges).

-Chris

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
The Nikon D40 and D40x do not accept AF lenses, only AF-S.

The D40 and D40x also only have three autofocus points.

Do not buy the D40 or the D40x.

The D80 is a good camera. I don't like the feel of Nikons or their lens lineup, which is why I went (and recommend) Canons.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Either Canon or Nikon, as has been said, are likely to fit your needs (I would probably go with a Canon, but I already have a 35mm Canon and some lenses that would work with a Canon digital SLR). And, as has already been said, make sure that what you buy is compatible with a broad range of lenses.

But what I want to mention is this: If you are going to buy an expensive SLR, make sure you don't buy poorly made lenses to go with it. One may as well just get a cheap camera if one were going to put a low quality lens on an expensive model. Canon makes good lenses, and I believe that Nikon does as well. Be careful about some of the package deals out there, as someone might be giving you a substandard lens to reduce the price (possibly with a name that is very similar to a good brand's name). Some off-brands of lenses might be okay, but some of them are dreadful.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Tamron, Sigma, and Tokina make some fine lenses as well.

Not all of their lenses are good, but many of them are.

And yes, be careful about "packages" with extra lenses. They're generally ****. For instance, a lot of Canon "packages" will include a Sigma 70-300mm or Canon 75-300mm. These sound like great zoom lenses, but they suck royally and aren't worth the paper the money was printed on.

captiankirk28

Full Audioholic
I'd suggest either the Canon Rebel XSi or the 30D.

Don't get the XTi or 20D. Older cameras and you will really appreciate the upgrades on the 30D or XSi.

I'd personally get the XSi. The DIGIC III processor by itself makes a huge difference. It's also a lot more compact and lighter, which pros and real camera buffs don't like but us mere mortals do. Same image quality and very similar feature set, save for the XSi's DIGIC III processor.

The lens that comes with the XSi package, the 18-55mm IS lens, is one of the better kit lenses. Very sharp, and IS lets you shoot handheld down to 1/5 s.

Spend money on good glass when you decide how you're going to be shooting.
The real only differance between the 20D and 30D is the 30D has a bigger LCD the cameras are almost the same it did not really make sense for Canon to come out with the 30D, but you will pay less for the 20D (more bang for the buck).

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Ah, but the 30D has spot metering, which is immensely useful. It also holds twice as many RAW images in the buffer.

And that LCD size difference is significant, especially when learning.

captiankirk28

Full Audioholic
Ah, but the 30D has spot metering, which is immensely useful. It also holds twice as many RAW images in the buffer.

And that LCD size difference is significant, especially when learning.
True, i was just saying that for the $ that you can save it is a good deal if you want more of a pro camera, and their are alot of people that agree that the 20D is the camera too get between the 2. but i was not saying that you didnt know what you were talking about:)

Highlander

Highlander

Full Audioholic
...pro-grade lenses have far less light loss...and generally have considerably sharper images when moving out from center of the image...
But for anything other than large prints, would you really notice the difference between consumer and pro-grade lenses?

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
But for anything other than large prints, would you really notice the difference between consumer and pro-grade lenses?
Oh, absolutely.

Well it helps if we don't differentiate between "consumer" and "pro-grade" but merely "good" and "bad."

First things to note are the physical properties of the lenses - focal length and maximum aperture. Lenses with a larger maximum aperture are generally more expensive. They're called "fast glass."

For example, a 50mm f/1.4 lens is a very fast lens. This is because, at f/1.4, a lens allows 16 times more light through than at f/5.6. Since it allows 16 times more light at f/1.4, you can shoot at a lower ISO (for less noise) and faster shutter speed (minimize blur or freeze action).

As an example, you will have the same exposure (total light) at 50mm, f/1.4, ISO 200, 1/120 s shutter as you would at 50mm, f/5.6, ISO 800, 1/30 s. The former shot will have much less noise and, probably, motion or handshake blur than the latter shot.

Most cheaper lenses have smaller maximum apertures. For example, the "kit" lens for the Rebel XT has a focal range of 18-55mm. At 18mm, it has a maximum aperture of f/3.5 and at 55mm it has a maximum aperture of f/5.6. This lens is about $140 or so on the market. By comparison, Canon makes a lens with an almost identical focal range (17-55mm), but has a maximum aperture of f/2.8 at all focal lengths. This lens allows in 4 times more light than the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 at 55mm. It's over $1000.

Obviously, you can see how a "better" lens that has a larger maximum aperture can help you get a much better shot, especially in lower light conditions such as indoors.

On top of mere numbers, some lenses are significantly sharper than others and/or have much better color than others. This really does make a difference. A cheap lens will give you crappy, unimpressive pictures. A good lens can allow you to shoot in a significantly wider range of conditions and get obviously sharper, brighter, more vibrant images.

Highlander

Highlander

Full Audioholic
Cheers Jonnythan :)

...you will have the same exposure (total light) at 50mm, f/1.4, ISO 200, 1/120 s shutter as you would at 50mm, f/5.6, ISO 800, 1/30 s. The former shot will have much less noise and, probably, motion or handshake blur than the latter shot.
The reason I ask is that I too am considering a digital SLR, although realistically not until summer at the earliest, and quite possibly not until next year. At present it's between the Canon 5D and Nikon D300. I take landscape photos almost exclusively, hence the interest in the 5D with its full frame sensor, but have read that Nikons feel perfect in the hand. The D300 has been very well received. Shutter speed is unlikely to be of concern for landscapes, and a tripod would eliminate blur.

Considering these cameras, and the quality of an image shot on either at ISO800, do you still consider good 'pro' lenses to be the way to go, or would good 'consumer' lenses perform saisfactorily for the subject matter being photographed?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis