Digital Optical & Toslink History Informational

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The transmission of signals using a beam of light was a topic for science fiction writers just a few short decades ago. The ability to harness the incredible speeds and data density capabilities of the optical medium was considered a “holy grail” for communications pioneers, who first began exploring this power of light in 1966. However, it took the digital revolution to bring fiber optic transmission to the mainstream.

Check out the article on the History of Toslink

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
gene said:
The transmission of signals using a beam of light was a topic for science fiction writers just a few short decades ago. The ability to harness the incredible speeds and data density capabilities of the optical medium was considered a “holy grail” for communications pioneers, who first began exploring this power of light in 1966. However, it took the digital revolution to bring fiber optic transmission to the mainstream.

Check out the article on the History of Toslink
Another interesting article. I am just curious if that 121psec jitter is audible.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
mtrycrafts said:
Another interesting article. I am just curious if that 121psec jitter is audible.
I can find no research paper that supports such a small value using musical content. The lowest value found to be audible in a valid perceptual test[1] was several hundred nsec. Not even near the psec range. The only studies I am aware showing any sensitivity in the low psec ranges were using special test signals to maximise audibility by several magnitudes - using very high frequency modulations at high amplitudes, if memory serves me. But my memory is not perfect. :)

[1] A Jitter Simulator on Digital Data
Ashihara, Kaoru; Kiryu, Shogo
AES Preprint: 5390

There is a Dolby Labs [2]paper on the subject, but I don't have this paper, so I have not a clue what it says.

[2] Theoretical and Audible Effects of Jitter on Digital Audio Quality
Benjamin, Eric; Gannon, Benjamin
AES Preprint: 4826

-Chris

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
But where is the actual perceptual study demonstrating the audibility on music signals? I had read the Fourre paper in the past, but it did not remember any supporting perceptual studies to support the audibility claims. Only the author's uncontrolled listening experience. BUt maybe I missed that?

Joe Cornwall said:
This URL http://www.stereophile.com/reference/1093jitter/index.html will bring you to the paper cited in the TOSLINK article.

Joe
-Chris

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
WmAx said:
[2] Theoretical and Audible Effects of Jitter on Digital Audio Quality

-Chris

I will scan and email it :)

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
mtrycrafts said:
I will scan and email it :)
Thanks. I emailed you the other paper(in case you did not have that one).

-Chris

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Ok, thanks to Mtrycrafts, I have recieved and reviewed the Dolby Labs paper. I thought it would be appropriate to share it here. However, I will make it clear that the Dolby test, while using better methodology then most of the jitter audibility papers I have read, is not up to the standards required for accurate results, IMO. The test used a dial connected to jitter variation device and a reference signal. The test subject adjusted the jitter dial and A-Bed their supposed just noticable difference threshold. While this is a perfectly valid method to establish baseline values in a preliminary test -- this should have been followed up with a DBT in order to confirm these thresholds. It is then of my opinion that it is unfortunate that the test did not follow up, as in other aspects it as an otherwise excellent paper.

Here are cropped charts/tables of the results from the listening test:

Theoretical and Audible Effects of Jitter on Digital Audio Quality

As I expected, pure tones were easier to identify by a significant margin in most cases.

The musical selections(except the bachbusters) are noted as being of a single isolated instrument note because full spectrum, dynamic music made the jitter much harder to detect. The bachbusters is a syntheisized music, and the sample consisted of few notes. The raised thresholds stated being present in full spectrum, dynamic music program by Dolby is consistent with the preliminary DBT test findings mentioned in:

A Jitter Simulator on Digital Data
Ashihara, Kaoru; Kiryu, Shogo
AES Preprint: 5390

None of the results in this Dolby Labs study begin to approach the low psec range indicated as audible from the paper referenced by the author of the AH article . But again, I reiterate, that I have read references to such low sensitivies using special high frequency modulations at high amplutides.

I welcome any perceptual research references on this subject that anyone may be able to direct me towards.

-Chris

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis