Digital Audio to HK235 Issue

R

rr2465

Junior Audioholic
Greetings.

I finally got around to getting the digital audio hookup from my JVC DVD player to my Harmon Kardon 235 receiver. Whenever the HK235 is determining the source (2.0, 5.1 etc) from the DVD player it makes a loud "bzzzt" through all the speakers when it makes the switch to dolby digital. After that it will play the DVD just fine. Is this normal? It just doesn't sound right to me? I'm afraid I'm going to blow out my speakers.

The JVC doesn't have a digital optical out, so I'm going from the digital COAX out on the DVD player to the digital COAX in on my receiver. I'm using standard 75 ohm cable with RCA ends. Should I be using a different cable? The reason that I ask is that I do have a digital optical cable from my cable box to the receiver and I don't get this buzz.

Thanks in advance for the help.

HK235
Paradigm Titans
Paradigm Atoms
Paradigm PD8

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Try swapping the cables. If you get the same problem with the cable box and no problem with the player, the cable is the problem. If not, then your player or receiver has a problem.

Make SURE the cable is 75 Ohm. Not all analog cables are, and you cannot assume an audio analog cable is 75 Ohm, since some are not. Video cables are always 75 Ohm, so you can also try swapping one of those in to try out.

Jmoney715

Jmoney715

Audioholic Intern
i also have an HK AVR235 hooked up to a dvd player via digital coax cable, i have never heard any type of buzz noise while it trying to determine the source.... not sure if thats any help but it doesnt seem right.

J

jetz9335

Audiophyte
Similar issues in other discussion thread

rr2465 said:
Greetings.

I finally got around to getting the digital audio hookup from my JVC DVD player to my Harmon Kardon 235 receiver. Whenever the HK235 is determining the source (2.0, 5.1 etc) from the DVD player it makes a loud "bzzzt" through all the speakers when it makes the switch to dolby digital. After that it will play the DVD just fine. Is this normal? It just doesn't sound right to me? I'm afraid I'm going to blow out my speakers.

The JVC doesn't have a digital optical out, so I'm going from the digital COAX out on the DVD player to the digital COAX in on my receiver. I'm using standard 75 ohm cable with RCA ends. Should I be using a different cable? The reason that I ask is that I do have a digital optical cable from my cable box to the receiver and I don't get this buzz.

Thanks in advance for the help.

HK235
Paradigm Titans
Paradigm Atoms
Paradigm PD8
There are many people complaining 'pop' noise for Harman Kardon AVR receivers. I'm not sure if your issue is the same, but it would be worth to check the following thread. It started with some complain about AVR635, but you will see many people complaining similar issue as well.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=503098

R

rr2465

Junior Audioholic
Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like it is an issue with the HK AVRs. Another forum has lots of complaints about "pops" in the speakers when it switches from analog to digital. I'm going to check out the cables - I'm fairly certain the ones I have are 75 ohm just because they're really thick. But maybe a different cable will help. I'm also going to play with the settings on the AVR including resetting the machine.

Thanks again for the help. I'll post if anything works.

Rob

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis