Digital Audio Output Differences? Is USB Audio Really The Top-notch?

preston8452

preston8452

Enthusiast
Hello guys,

So after some struggles between spending time in optimizing my PC audio functionalities and adopting a dedicated music streamer, I opted for the second one.
I purchased the Munich M1T by Silent Angel, given it's good reviews in UK and Germany and Switzerland, I thought it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot, but frankly speaking, the mainly reason was because the price fits my wallet more hahahah...

Anyways, so there are several digital outputs on its back panel, AES/EBU; I2S(HDMI), Coaxial, USB Audio, hell hahah, I have literally no idea which one is better or which can provide a special feature or something, I mean it does show that the USB Audio supports up to up to PCM 768KHz and DSD 11.2M (DSD256), but does that the higher the sampling rate, the better the sound quality? I just can't make sure...

And if the USB Audio can provide the " best " digital sound quality, then why added other ports? Ain't that just costing more on the manufacturing end?
Hope you guys can give some insights on this, or share some of your experiences, because this is the first time I saw an AES/EBU port on a audio streamer...

Best,

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello guys,

So after some struggles between spending time in optimizing my PC audio functionalities and adopting a dedicated music streamer, I opted for the second one.
I purchased the Munich M1T by Silent Angel, given it's good reviews in UK and Germany and Switzerland, I thought it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot, but frankly speaking, the mainly reason was because the price fits my wallet more hahahah...

Anyways, so there are several digital outputs on its back panel, AES/EBU; I2S(HDMI), Coaxial, USB Audio, hell hahah, I have literally no idea which one is better or which can provide a special feature or something, I mean it does show that the USB Audio supports up to up to PCM 768KHz and DSD 11.2M (DSD256), but does that the higher the sampling rate, the better the sound quality? I just can't make sure...

And if the USB Audio can provide the " best " digital sound quality, then why added other ports? Ain't that just costing more on the manufacturing end?
Hope you guys can give some insights on this, or share some of your experiences, because this is the first time I saw an AES/EBU port on a audio streamer...

Best,
There is not a best. It is what your receiving device will accept. AES/EBU is a professional connection.

Personally I think was well designed and specked PC, with a quality external DAC is the best streaming device.

I use a DIY PC, with Firewire to an external RME DAC/mixer, and the an optical connection to my prepro. That had quite enough bandwidth for any digital audio application.

I have just updated my HTPC, with new Motherboard and processor. I think now an HTPC can be used for AV and audio streaming. Gamers are your friend in this. They have pushed the envelope in entertainment PC platforms. I think that gives you better functionality and makes your options much greater.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I personally avoid USB connections when possible. My decision is based on too many problems related to USB connections in an industrial setting. Too many problems, so I avoid USB whenever possible!

USB has 2 advantages: It is ubiquitous, and it can carry power. Beyond that, USB has many disadvantages.

In general, of the options listed, I would choose the I2S connection every time, but that is also a rare option for consumer level gear. This is how I have my RPi streamers configured.

With all of that being said, I likely have a lot of bias in my opinions. TLS guy in the post above gave you what is likely the best answer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis