Digital audio from cable

5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
Is there any way I can get digital audio from cable? The only audio outputs I have on my tv are rca. Pretty soon I'm getting digital cable, so I assume the digital cable box will have an optical/coax out, right? Do alot of tv programs have Dolby (am I missing out on anything), because right now all I use is my receiver's Pro Logic and other built in decoders. What about over the air DTS (is that even possible?). Thanks for any responses to my noobish question.

EDIT: I just realized this probably isn't the right area to post this in, well too late..sorry :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
5.1 DTS guy said:
Is there any way I can get digital audio from cable? The only audio outputs I have on my tv are rca. Pretty soon I'm getting digital cable, so I assume the digital cable box will have an optical/coax out, right? Do alot of tv programs have Dolby (am I missing out on anything), because right now all I use is my receiver's Pro Logic and other built in decoders. What about over the air DTS (is that even possible?). Thanks for any responses to my noobish question.

EDIT: I just realized this probably isn't the right area to post this in, well too late..sorry :)
Yes, when you get the cable box, it should/will have a digital out either coax or optical. Not sure how many programs will have DD 5.1 but there are a number. Not sure you will get DTS as that is not required audio.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I've had digital cable for at least the last 5 years (Time Warner) and have yet to see any channel with DTS.

All of the premium movie channels use DD 5.1 or at a minimum DD 2.0. The Music Choice channels are DD 2.0. The other channels in the digital tier are a mix of DD 2.0 and 48 kHz PCM. Time Warner is still a little flakey though as some of the channels in the 'digital' tier actually broadcast analog audio (it varies from channel to channel and show to show).

It seems that the various cable operators differ slightly in what they offer. In South FL they have Comcast and every channel has digital audio - but usually it is 48 kHz PCM, except for the movie and music channels which are DD 5.1 and DD 2.0, just like my Time Warner cable.

When you get digital cable, you need to insist on a box with digital out. For TW, that is not a problem as all of their boxes (SciAtlanta) have digital outs. When I visited FL to see my family, it took Comcast months to find a box with digital out (they use Motorola boxes).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis