digital audio connection for turntable?

J

Jonny

Audiophyte
I was wondering if this was possible? I'm curious because I get an awesome simulated 5.1 surround mix when I play cd's in my dvd player (I run a digital coax cable between the player and the reciever) but can't get that same mix running rca cables from the record player into the same reciever. I understand I might have to buy a new turntable, but is this possible? I would love to have a simulated 5.1 surround mix with my LP's!

JVC

JVC

Banned
You should get the same from your current turntable, if your receiver is set to Dolby Pro Logic II. Afterall, the simulated surround is taken from a stereo signal. Is your turntable producing a stereo sound? Maybe your cartridge isn't producing a good stereo signal?

It works with cds, which are stereo. It probably works with your tv channels, that are stereo? Unless Pro Logic doesn't work with the phono channel, for some reason. I'll have to check later, and see if I can get Pro Logic to work with my turntable.........
Good luck!

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
It will depend entirely on your processor/receiver and how you have it set up: Most will permit you to "process" an analogue signal just like you do a digital signal. And as was mentioned before, you'll probably want to use Dolby PL IIx to do it. Try experimenting with the different DSP settings (concert hall, pavillions, stadium, etc.)

Bryan...HTH...

J

Jonny

Audiophyte
Thanks for the quick replies guys! PLII does indeed work for my turntable. Its not quite as pronounced as the CD PLII (for some reason..probably the preamp in my record player) but it still sounds terrific.

Hooking up my record player to play through my 5.1 setup was the best thing I ever did :) Such an improvement over the older speakers I was using before. My LP's have come to life in PLII! :) Thanks again guys.

- Jonny

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Jonny said:
Thanks for the quick replies guys! PLII does indeed work for my turntable. Its not quite as pronounced as the CD PLII (for some reason..probably the preamp in my record player) but it still sounds terrific.
Hooking up my record player to play through my 5.1 setup was the best thing I ever did :) Such an improvement over the older speakers I was using before. My LP's have come to life in PLII! :) Thanks again guys. Jonny

OK, let's check on something here. Does your receiver have a turntable input? If not, does your turntable has its own preamp?
Vinyl may not have such a great separation and phase differences between channels to process fully?

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
That is an excellent point. I've recently got into turntables and vinyl, and often wondered whether it would matter if I plugged my phono cables into one set of jacks versus another.

J

Jonny

Audiophyte
No my reciever is a newer Sony model. I'm plugging into the md/tape input. The turntable is a Sony belt-driven model, with a built in phono amplifier. I know that I won't be getting the best sound out of my current setup, but it sounds pretty good for the time being (and the fact that I'm in college) :)

Is there an audible difference between direct drive and belt driven players? Also, do any new recievers have phono inputs, or is that a thing of the past? I'm not sure if its worth getting a new player/new reciever in the future if the audio difference will be that great of an improvement. Or mabye I should look at buying an external phono preamp?

- Jonny

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
Yeah, you're probably going to want to use either a built-in phono stage (if your reccy has one) or an outboard phono pre-amp. My apologies, I thought you were using one. you're going to need some of the members more experienced in vinyl than I am...

Bryan...are you using a MM or MC rig?

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
Jonny said:
No my reciever is a newer Sony model. I'm plugging into the md/tape input. The turntable is a Sony belt-driven model, with a built in phono amplifier. I know that I won't be getting the best sound out of my current setup, but it sounds pretty good for the time being (and the fact that I'm in college) :)

Is there an audible difference between direct drive and belt driven players? Also, do any new recievers have phono inputs, or is that a thing of the past? I'm not sure if its worth getting a new player/new reciever in the future if the audio difference will be that great of an improvement. Or mabye I should look at buying an external phono preamp?

- Jonny

If your turntable has a built in phono preamplifier you do not need any additional componets. Most of them do not come with built in preamps but I have noticed that most mass market tables sold today do contain them, likely to accomodate modern recievers and preamplifiers that no longer come standard with built in phono sections.

Any table can exibit either superb or poor performance based on the way its designed, You'll notice that most of the very high end tables are driven with complex belt/pulley systems. There are also a good amount of direct drive tables that are performers as well though.

Some things that are worth investing in even if you dont have a particularly good table and cartridge are a record cleaning brush and perhaps a stylus force gauge so you can properly setup your turntable and keep your records clean.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis