Digital and Analog Audio?

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
My Time Warner Cable digital cable box has analog and digital audio out. What would happen if I were to hook the analog audio out to the TV and digital audio out to the receiver (ie. would digital signals go to the receiver and analog to the tv)?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, this is a good way of doing things as you can run video straight to the TV and bypass the receiver for just casual TV watching which may be easier in your home.

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
The only thing I'm concerned about is will the STB output digital audio only when on a digital station, or will it output both analog (to tv) and digital (to receiver). FYI, I bypass the receiver for the video coming out of the STB, but I use the receiver for video from the DVD Player. Also, what will happen if I watching a digital station and the receiver is turned off, will to convert to analog? Sorry if my logic if way off on digital and analog.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
If you connect only the analog cables to the tv, you will only hear sound from channels that use analog audio. With TWC (at least here in Texas) the digital channels all have an analog feed also, so you should be able to hear all channels if you do it that way (but it will always be the Analog audio).

If you only connect the digital output to the receiver, you will only hear digital audio when the receiver is on and nothing from channels that are analog only.

Your best bet is to connect both analog and digital audio from the set top box to the receiver. The receiver will automatically choose the digital audio over analog if the station transmits both. For stations that are analog audio only, obviously it will choose the analog connection. This is how mine is setup with TW Digital Cable and it works flawlessly - the Onkyo 502 switches between the analog and digital feeds instantly with no perceptible delay.

If you really want to be able to watch TV without the receiver on (why anyone would want to do that is beyond me. :) ), then run the analog audio from the set top box to the TV, run analog audio from the TV audio out to the receiver, and run digital audio from the set top box to the receiver. When the receiver is on, you will get digital or analog audio according to what I described above. When using just the TV, you will get Analog audio only.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Time Warner Scientific Atlanta 8000(not H/D)

I ran S-Video from the box to the receiver.
Digital audio out from box to the receiver.
S-video from receiver to tv.
Analog l/r out from box to tv.
Composit video out from box to tv.
Analog l/r audio (fixed) out from tv to receiver.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis