furrycute

furrycute

Banned
When is audioholics going to review some of the new digital amps/receivers that have been out for a while now.

The really inexpensive Panasonic digital receivers have been all the audiophile rave for the past few years.

While I have never heard one of those Panasonic receivers before, I have heard a Panasonic bookshelf system using digital amps. The sound coming from those small bookshelf speakers was incredible. Crystal clear, fast, extremely fast, that's how I would describe the sound. Plus the sound has a depth to them that made me initially believe I was hearing speakers with much bigger woofers.

I really would like to hear Audioholics' views on these digital amps.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
furrycute said:
When is audioholics going to review some of the new digital amps/receivers that have been out for a while now.

The really inexpensive Panasonic digital receivers have been all the audiophile rave for the past few years.

While I have never heard one of those Panasonic receivers before, I have heard a Panasonic bookshelf system using digital amps. The sound coming from those small bookshelf speakers was incredible. Crystal clear, fast, extremely fast, that's how I would describe the sound. Plus the sound has a depth to them that made me initially believe I was hearing speakers with much bigger woofers.

I really would like to hear Audioholics' views on these digital amps.
The Harman Kardon digital 1005 and 2005 did so lousy and had so many negative reviews (most from CC!), Circuit City dropped them from their shelves. And these two units should run circles around the Panasonic receiver. I think digital amps are fine powering subwoofers or woofers in a biamped situation, but seeing how some run as high as 10% THD, I'd opt for the conventional class A/B amps for cleaner sound. On a budget, and looking for a cheap HTIB, they may be ok, but I think there's better buys for your money. A 9lb Panasonic digital receiver, IMO, just isn't going to win me over no matter what SoundandVisionmag says.

Here's a CNET review on the Panasonic unit you may be talking about.
http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_SA_XR70S/4505-6462_7-31290106.html?subj=Panasonic+SA-XR70S&part=rss

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Thanks for the cnet link.

10%THD, that cnet review did mention that the sound they heard was liquid smooth, better than a comparatively priced Denon receiver using analog amps. The problem with the Panasonic receiver was the digital amp was not powerful enough for high volume listening. Interesting, perhaps the audiophile rave about tube sound really comes down to increased THD...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis