diffusion panel advice?

B

bearr48

Audiophyte
I'm planning on a pair of 24" diameter half-cylinder diffusor panels, about 5 feet high, made from concrete forming tube.

My question: ?Do I need to make top and bottom covers for these, or can I leave the top and bottom open, without suffering from some weird Helmholtz resonances? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
How are you determining the need for these and their level of effectiveness? If you're just guessing, don't. If you read comments that this is needed, find out why.

Are you trying to tame some kind of problem in the low frequencies, or scatter midrange?

What, exactly, is the problem and how did you arrive at the conclusion that you need these?

B

bearr48

Audiophyte
Thank you for your response (though I note that my own question remains unanswered). Your questions are food for thought, and I am slowly digesting them.

My listening/movie room is small (abt 17' X 11' X 8'), and has nothing on any wall surfaces...until I recently tamed a slap echo by putting up a 52" X 88" panel filled with Rockwool, on the back wall. The room generally is still pretty live.

I think scattering some midrange might be worth trying; it costs almost nothing, and the half-cylinders can be placed almost anywhere. I have no training in acoustics and am not in a position to hire professional help. I am also considering putting curtains across the front wall (behind and between the L &R tower speakers). I am not a fan of the concept of trying to imitate an anechoic chamber although that idea seems to have a lot of adherents in audiophile circles. So what to do? Listen, try things, listen some more....or do nothing?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis