Difficulty setting up 5.1.4 in small/awkward room

P

Pmasz

Audiophyte
Hello everyone I'm looking to set up (ideally) a 5.1.2 system in a new home that we are moving into.

I've spent alot of the last month or so trying to figure out the set up, including the speakers/etc, and the actual setup itself.

Unfortunately, the room is certainly not ideal, but it's what I have to work with. It's caused some difficulty for me with regards to figuring out what to do with the surrounds.

The room is 9'w x 10.6'd x 8.25'h

Couch will be placed about 1-2' from back wall (which has a window with walls on either side)

There is a half-wall on one side, which ends in a pillar and then an open entry way.

With a 9' width, this doesn't leave much room on either side of the couch for surrounds. I haven't yet bought a couch yet, but it seems most of my options will result in the speakers being right at the ends of the couch. Wall mounting isn't really an option either due to the half-wall.

One thing I thought may work from my research was bipole surrounds on the back wall (the one with the window), but honestly, I'm not sure if this would work at all.

Attachments

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Your pictures are confusing

5.1.2-overhead.png

This is how a 5.1.2 placement is supposed to be

They also show placement for a 5.1.2

What gear (Speakers, Sub, AVR) do you need and Budget?

Last edited:
P

Pmasz

Audiophyte
I apologize. We haven't moved in yet, so I have limited material at the moment.

I'll try to describe it as best as I can.

- The TV and LCR + Sub, will be placed on the wall which is not pictured (9ft wide).
- The wall opposite of that has a window with walls on either side. (this is where the couch would be, about 1-2 feet away from the window)

- One of the length walls has a 'furniture niche that is about 1' deep, but otherwise is a regular wall.
- The other wall opposite of this is the entryway (no door), which also contains a half-wall and a pillar. I have attached the only other picture I have of this side of the room. The floor plan in the first post may be more helpful, although it may make more sense if I said that the floor plan should be flipped to match the pics (this is from a mirrored version of our own floor plan)

Attachments

P

Pmasz

Audiophyte
I have made and attached an updated floor plan that may make more sense.

As for gear, nothing has been bought yet. I've been doing alot of research, and would still like to do some listening test at my local dealer. But at the current time I plan on doing:

- Fronts: Paradigm Premier 200b
- Center: Paradigm Premier 600c
- Surrounds: Still trying to figure out
- Atmos: still trying to figure out
- AV: Denon AVR X2700H (I plan on using this setup for 70% movies & streaming/20% games/10% music - these numbers may change, I chose this receiver because of the HDMI 2.1 & 120hz@4k for future use.)
- Sub: Still deciding. I'm thinking about something like the SVS PB 2000, or possibly HSU VTF-2 MK5.

I've been looking quite in depth at the dolby guide and considering how the rear and sides will both be in close proximity to seating (plus, one of the sides being a half wall complicating things), figuring out the surrounds has been quite a challenge for me, especially being a newbie. I know it's not an ideal room and I'll have to make some compromises, but it's the one I got.

Attachments

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
- Fronts: Paradigm Premier 200b
- Center: Paradigm Premier 600c
- Surrounds: Still trying to figure out
- Atmos: still trying to figure out

- Sub: Still deciding. I'm thinking about something like the SVS PB 2000, or possibly HSU VTF-2 MK5.
Using the 200b's as side surrounds would be great. Or the 100b's

Atmos SVS Prime Elevation

And the SVS sub would preform well

P

Pmasz

Audiophyte
I was totally looking at the 100bs. My only concern with the side surrounds is that, because the room is so narrow (and that they have a rear port so they have to be spaced away from the wall a little), they would be right against the end of the couch on both sides.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I was totally looking at the 100bs. My only concern with the side surrounds is that, because the room is so narrow (and that they have a rear port so they have to be spaced away from the wall a little), they would be right against the end of the couch on both sides.
Prime Elevations are rear ported but are able to be mounted to walls or ceilings. They come with brackets for mounting. Or they can be used freestanding too.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Once you have the equipment you need, the side speakers will be experimental adjustable positioning for best listening. How do you plan to run the wiring to the rear sides? Perhaps the best location for the surrounds, might be on the back wall and angled down at the couch? In our other house with a family room with fairly open side entrance and opposite with patio doors 2 rear entrances, the surrounds were on the back wall. With the AV auto speaker calibration and different positions/locations of the microphone, you might get the balance you need.

Here is the best viewing distances for TV's FYI:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis