Difficulty choosing speakers - narrowed down.

T

tr4nsitor

Audiophyte
I am having difficulty making a decision on my speaker choice for my 5.1 setup. $1200 remaining budget for Front, Rears, & Center. Already have receiver & Sub. There are a few options I am considering below that I have found Open Box for the budget but I am open to any and all suggestions.
Already Have:
  • Onkyo TR-NX6050
  • RSL 10S Speedwoofer MKII
Potential Options:
  1. Triangle Borea BR03 Front & Rears w/ Borea BRC Center
  2. Elac Debut 2.0 F5 Fronts, B5 Rears, & C5.2 Center
  3. Definitive Technology Demand 9s Front & Rears with D5C Center
  4. Definitive Technology Demand 11s Front & 9s Rears with D5C Center
  5. Emotiva T-zero Towers , B1 BookshelvesC1+ Center
  6. Fluance Signature Series 5.0 System
  7. Klipsch R-625FA Theatre Package (R-41M Rears & R-52C Center)
  8. Klipsch R-25FA Theatre Package (R-14M Rears & R-25C Center)

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have you any particular preference among those brands based on listening experiences? Might think about adding speakers from RSL (obviously) as well as other ID guys like Ascend and Hsu too. Another consideration instead of spreading your $1200 too thin over 5 speakers is to concentrate on the front three, even if that means going 3.1 for a while (or even better, saving up a bit more for even those or going 2.1 for a bit).

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Are you more the music type listener? Do some reviews on the speakers and decide on your budget.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Have you ever considered used / demo / display / trade-in audio gear. The deprecation is horrendous on some of the higher priced gear. Your money will go a lot further. Firstly consider what you really need, or what your going to be happy with. The worlds not going to end, If you don't buy all the latest stuff.

Do you really need a multitude of ceiling speakers. Or can you live with the basic's. I have no idea where your located but most dealers have a used section. Forget all about Open Box, Magnolia, and Best Buy, There simply bulk sellers who will simply tell you what you want to hear. And in the end, you will end up with low value rubbish, which might last a couple of years, before it dies or you get sick of it. Buy once Buy right

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I am having difficulty making a decision on my speaker choice for my 5.1 setup. $1200 remaining budget for Front, Rears, & Center. Already have receiver & Sub. There are a few options I am considering below that I have found Open Box for the budget but I am open to any and all suggestions.
Already Have:
  • Onkyo TR-NX6050
  • RSL 10S Speedwoofer MKII
Potential Options:
  1. Triangle Borea BR03 Front & Rears w/ Borea BRC Center
  2. Elac Debut 2.0 F5 Fronts, B5 Rears, & C5.2 Center
  3. Definitive Technology Demand 9s Front & Rears with D5C Center
  4. Definitive Technology Demand 11s Front & 9s Rears with D5C Center
  5. Emotiva T-zero Towers , B1 BookshelvesC1+ Center
  6. Fluance Signature Series 5.0 System
  7. Klipsch R-625FA Theatre Package (R-41M Rears & R-52C Center)
  8. Klipsch R-25FA Theatre Package (R-14M Rears & R-25C Center)
I had a quick look at each of those and there is no clear winner. They all seem to have similar reviews with decent performance for the dollar. Is there any chance you can listen to any of these in person? They will all have slightly different sound characteristics and you can't tell what will appeal to you from reviews alone. If you can not demo any look for some more reviews on-line, but other's personal opinion will only reveal so much. In the end it may come down to visual appeal and whether you prefer towers or bookshelves for your main speakers. If this is for home theatre you want a centre speaker that performs well in the mid band as that handles most of the dialogue, so make sure the centre reviews well.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Imo I’d take two of the best towers you can get and add the rest later unless you get Klipsch or jbl 5 series on sale . I wish I had done this instead of getting 7ch Klipsch icon at once . I couldn’t had gotten a tier higher up and got reference 2 instead .
Or get best front 3 if you need a center channel and have a wide set up mlp.
If you want 5 ch it doesn’t matter which of these choices you get probably equal as said in the post before me.
Depends if you want mid tier or basic in the end . Maybe add more later and start 2.1-3.1 or go full out with 5 lesser speakers the choice is yours . I went for 7 lesser ones and 2 are currently out of usage . I lost money because I trusted a freind to pay his share of credit didn’t pan out .

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis