Difference btw PB12-ISD/2 and PB12-Plus

G

Giuseppe

Junior Audioholic
Well I was looking at these two subs and found that they are the same price at $899. What I am wondering is why the PB12-PLUS is $899 and has 1 driver, while the PB12-ISD/2 is $899 but has two drivers. Obviously the PB12-PLUS has a better driver, but can it compare to the performance of two woofers??? What would you guys get if you had to choose between these two?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Don't quote me on this, but I beleive the ISD drivers have more distortion then the Plus drivers.

the ISD/2 will give you higher SPL's, but hte Plus will play cleaner.

Again, don't quote me.

SheepStar

G

Giuseppe

Junior Audioholic
Hmm so I would have to decide if I want more airflow and bigger sound or a bit quiter criper sound? I am not sure what I am going to go for yet.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Giuseppe said:
Hmm so I would have to decide if I want more airflow and bigger sound or a bit quiter criper sound? I am not sure what I am going to go for yet.
Depends on your room size. If its nothing extreme, grab the Plus.

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The difference between the two is significant - the Plus is a completely different driver, capable of much more output and lower distortion. The Plus/2 also has a 900w amp vs the 600w amp of the ISD/2.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
the isd/2 might be really huge if its anything close to the plus/2

plus is supposed to be a pretty big step up in driver from the isd's.. much bigger than the step from plus to ultra.

but after shipping costs, its almost the same price as the ep500. i havent seen any rewviews comparing the two directly, but one review had the ep500 beating the ultra.

im either going to get a ep500, or an svs cylinder. personally i think the plus/2 is just way too big. id rather get 2 subs to put on either side.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I highly doubt the EP500 (still waiting to get a chance to listen to one) will beat the Ultra/2. Subjectively it may be competetive (it has some pretty big numbers in terms of output up top), but it definitely will not go as low. It's also quite large, though it doesn't take up nearly as much floorspace as an Ultra or even a Plus/2.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
j_garcia said:
The difference between the two is significant - the Plus is a completely different driver, capable of much more output and lower distortion. The Plus/2 also has a 900w amp vs the 600w amp of the ISD/2.
Its the plus, not the plus/2.

SheepStar

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
j_garcia said:
I highly doubt the EP500 (still waiting to get a chance to listen to one) will beat the Ultra/2. Subjectively it may be competetive (it has some pretty big numbers in terms of output up top), but it definitely will not go as low. It's also quite large, though it doesn't take up nearly as much floorspace as an Ultra or even a Plus/2.
not to rub it in :) , it was the EP500 vs. the ULTRA (the ULTRA/2 will most definitely beat the 500 ... but then again, there's another thread EP600 vs. the ultra/2)

SVS should stop using these model numbers. they should start calling their subs the "TOM 12" the "RON 10" :rolleyes:

B

BassHead

Banned
Giuseppe said:
Well I was looking at these two subs and found that they are the same price at $899. What I am wondering is why the PB12-PLUS is $899 and has 1 driver, while the PB12-ISD/2 is $899 but has two drivers. Obviously the PB12-PLUS has a better driver, but can it compare to the performance of two woofers??? What would you guys get if you had to choose between these two?
None of them !

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
j_garcia said:
yeah you must have misread me.. i just said the ep500 had beat the single ultra in one of the reviews..

but imo.. i wouldnt get a isd/2 because of size. ir rather get a single plus, or an ep500. they are all about the same price after shipping.

i think most people that have heard both think the ep500 is a better sub than the single plus. but im just assuming, since ive never heard either.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
jetyi83 said:
yeah you must have misread me.. i just said the ep500 had beat the single ultra in one of the reviews..

but imo.. i wouldnt get a isd/2 because of size. ir rather get a single plus, or an ep500. they are all about the same price after shipping.

i think most people that have heard both think the ep500 is a better sub than the single plus. but im just assuming, since ive never heard either.
Jety,

That review was subjective. It didn't "beat" anything. It was just "perferred" by 4 people. Oh no! 4 people liked it over the ultra... It must be GOD!!

SheepStar

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Consider the following:

ISD/2
600 watt Bash amp driving two drivers
19x26.5x28 inches
125lbs

Plus
525 watt Bash amp driving one driver
25x18x25 inches
110lbs

EP500
500 watt amp
19.5x15x19.5
73lbs

The SPL vs Freq. graphs at SVS show the Plus hitting 95dB slightly around 18-19Hz, while the ISD/2 only hits 87.5dB at 22Hz. The ISD/2 never gets above 90dB in the 20Hz mode, while the Plus never drops below 95Hz until approaching 200Hz. The EP500 graph at Axiom's website is closer to the ISD/2 specs. Easy decision IMO - go with the Plus.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The 20-39+ I heard was more or less up in the 100s in room from basically 31Hz to about 20Hz, and high 80s to mid 90s above that. That is some very good output. I'd go with the Plus also.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
Sheep said:
Jety,

That review was subjective. It didn't "beat" anything. It was just "perferred" by 4 people. Oh no! 4 people liked it over the ultra... It must be GOD!!

SheepStar
well if 4 out of 5 people preferred the ep500 over the ultra.. then that usually means yeah,,. it beat it out in that review, and pretty badly i could add.

did i say it was god? why do you think i said "one" review

was the review subjective? yes, but what is wrong with that. The majority of any review is subjective. Graphs can be pretty arbitrary anyway, unless done in the same testing facilities.

Last edited:
K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
and the svs curve says nothing about being tested in an anechoic chamber..

not that i can see at least

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis