Difference between Yamaha A-S801 and R-N803

S

silverbackbg

Audiophyte
Hi,
I have speakers Klipsch RP-8000F and I am looking for a new Amplifier.
I would definitely choose a Yamaha one. However, I am struggling to find the difference between the two aforementioned .
Can you please explain the real advantage of the former, if there are such? Why would you choose one or the other?
The question was provoked due to the prices in Canada - $1300 for A-S801 vs $1000 for the R-N803.
The question is, what is so much better in the A-S801 to cost more, while R-N803 offers a receiver with WiFi, etc?

Thank you in advance.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Hi,
I have speakers Klipsch RP-8000F and I am looking for a new Amplifier.
I would definitely choose a Yamaha one. However, I am struggling to find the difference between the two aforementioned .
Can you please explain the real advantage of the former, if there are such? Why would you choose one or the other?
The question was provoked due to the prices in Canada - $1300 for A-S801 vs $1000 for the R-N803.
The question is, what is so much better in the A-S801 to cost more, while R-N803 offers a receiver with WiFi, etc?

Thank you in advance.
At first look, the A-S801 is a stereo amplifier whereas the R-N803 is a stereo receiver which includes a stereo amplifier and a FM tuner.

The R-N803 also boasts a parametric room EQ which the A-S801 stereo amp doesn't have.

Otherwise, both seem to have the same power amp circuits. In my opinion, the R-N803 is cheaper and would represent a better value/$. In addition, with it you have the option to equalize to some extent the frequency response in your listening room. I would suggest that you deal with a store where you could try it and return it should you not be satisfied.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
To me it looks like the N803 is the better value due the internet capabilities as well as having YPAO (altho doesn't spell out bass management particularly, assume YPAO brings that).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you, guys.
Indeed, it seems R-N803 best for the money in that case.
My further research found this thread very interesting as well.
The two share the most critical part that determines the final audio spec, that is the volume control IC. Besides that, the A-S801 has a marginally better DAC, the ES9010KS2 vs the ES9006 in the R-N803 and it can be used as an USB DAC.

That's why I rarely suggest the A-S801 to those asking about integrated amps, because the 801 is more like an AVR, or the R-N803 without the tuner and the video stuff, with virtually nothing value added to the audio side.

It does seem to have implemented the DAC better (balanced mode) so my educated guess is that its THD+N may measure a few dB better (just may be). That's assuming the R-N803 does not use the balanced mode, that the older generation R-S700 did, according to hometheaterhifi.com.

Regardless, those who claimed the A-S801 "sounds better", I would bet 2:1 in a blind comparison, they would not be able to tell the two apart. Very few people could tell the difference between THD+N of say -95 dB vs -90 dB, even in anechoic chamber, that's just science. Golden ears can because they also use their eyes to enhance their hearing.

If the USB DAC, and the look matters, go for the 801, otherwise the R-N803 is clearly a better value. For those who wants a real integrated amp, the A-S700 or R-S700 would be the better choices, if you can find one.

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
Thank you, guys.
Indeed, it seems R-N803 best for the money in that case.
The R-N803 brings proper digital bass management (LPF/HPF) via YPAO and the MusicCast app. This is a big advantage - even with bass-capable main speakers - as it allows you to insert low bass into the room independently of the mains to address the effects of room modes.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis