Dialogue questions on DefTech 9040 or 9060 center

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
There are definitely bad sound mixes out there. I remember seeing Tenet in a high end Dolby Atmos Theater wising I had a remote that could select a "close caption" option the screen. One of the worst mixes of dialogue for any newer film I have (not) heard. :eek:

Fast forward, when I redid my speaker setup and added my new center channel. I put Tenet on and could actually understand the people talking. I called my dealer to say I was happy with my choices. I did not even have to adjust the center level outside my initial setup.
Nolan has a good history of questionable practices especially including dialogue. Worst one for me is Dunkirk. It has clipped signals all throughout, and my system sounded like it was blown up, even at low volumes. It’s a love hate track that won awards. Can understand why…

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I agree it’s ideal to have all speakers equally adjusted and not boosted.

but I’m not an audiophile and kinda prefer to hear the dialogue as robustly as possible without being the only track obviously. Than be zeroed in.

Not saying I’m correct at all.
Well and nobody needs to be an audiophile to know what sounds good. :D

#1 is, of course, to level match all speakers. And all of us do that - if not manually, then automatically by Audyssey, YPAO, Dirac, etc.

But ONCE in a while there may be poorly mixed contents where the dialogue seems lower than the rest of the channels. And that could by temporarily fixed by either increasing the Master Volume, which obviously would also increase all other channels and could make things louder than some of us prefer, or we just temporarily increase the center dialogue channel.

I know Yamaha has a quick DIALOGUE ADJUSTMENT feature on the remote where you can increase or decrease just the center channel level. Other AVR/AVP probably have this simple dialogue adjustment feature as well.

BTW, I think both the CS9040 and CS9060 have dual 4.5 mid-woofers, while the CS9080 has dual 5.25” dual mid-woofers. So I would get the 9080, if you are going with DefTech system. Again, in general, bigger drivers + bigger cabinets = more dynamics for your dialogue.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Nolan has a good history of questionable practices especially including dialogue. Worst one for me is Dunkirk. It has clipped signals all throughout, and my system sounded like it was blown up, even at low volumes. It’s a love hate track that won awards. Can understand why…
Nolan needs to leave the past behind and start using 4-8K Resolution Digital cameras and Dolby ATMOS soundtracks like everyone else (James Cameron, Joseph Kosinski), instead of ancient analog films and DTS-MA soundtracks.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Nolan needs to leave the past behind and start using 4-8K Resolution Digital cameras and Dolby ATMOS soundtracks like everyone else (James Cameron, Joseph Kosinski), instead of ancient analog films and DTS-MA soundtracks.
100%

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis