DHT build... flooring...

N

NeverSeen

Audioholic
Hi all! I'm still working on a DHT build and I'm getting closer to completion by the day (finally). I'm almost ready to put down flooring.

The plan was going to be put down padding and carpet over the slab and I'd have no questions to ask. I was also going to be carpeting some bedrooms at the same time.

The plan has since changed and I'm going to have hard floors in every room of the house. I'd hate to have just one room of carpet to take care of.

What options do I have for hard floors? I was thinking cork tile would be better suited than ceramic tile or laminate. I could always put a throw rug down as well. How does cork tile perform when it comes to acoustics?

B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
If it's a dedicated home theater, I'd strongly recommend treating it as such and put in proper flooring for the application. A home theater already requires more treatment/damping than a 2 channel room or standard space. Adding a hard floor to the mix is just going to require even more.

Bryan

N

NeverSeen

Audioholic
Hmmmm, okay. I could probably park one of those robovacs under the seating and he could keep the room tidy for me.

No options other than carpet then, i take it.

B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
Sure, you can do a hard floor, a big area rug between you and the speakers to kill floor reflections, and then increase the amount of absorption on the walls and ceiling by about 50%

Bryan

N

NeverSeen

Audioholic
I'm going to assume it'll be easier to control the sound reflections with a carpet floor. I do intend to do wall treatments and etc after I get everything setup and see how it sounds.

I agree if i'm going to do a DHT i might as well leave it dedicated. Just trying to keep my floor cleaning tools to a minimum. All is okay though.

Thanks for the advice... I'll probably be back in here after the floor is in and I move all my gear back into the room. :)

B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
If you're going to do the carpet (good decision IMO), try to get a nice, thick jute pad as opposed to a closed cell foam one if you can. That will help extend the range over which the carpet and pad will absorb.

Bryan

M

Michel Leduc

Enthusiast
If you decide not to go with the full floor carpet, you will need acoustical wall and ceiling treatment anyway to control harmful reflections. By doing so, you will also control the room's reverberation.

Michel Leduc

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis