Desktop help/advice

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'm tired of constantly fighting with Windows 10 to enable my subwoofer. It will play the test tone from the sound settings but then with music nothing will come through it. So I'm looking to get a little amp with subwoofer out and some passive desktop speakers or active speakers that have a sub out on them. Would prefer to spend under $400 and ideally under $300 to do this. Are there any well regarded active speakers with sub outs in this price range? What are your thoughts on the following amp and speakers? The Loxjie was well reviewed at ASR and I can't find anything but youtube reviews without measurements for the Moukey, but they seem to be well regarded for the price. For reference I'm currently using Edifier R1280DB's. I'm not opposed to DIY speaker options either.

Loxjie A30

Moukey M20-3

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Might just go with NHT super zero 2.1's since they're a known commodity.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Not my cup of tea, really. Since my computer is in-room with my rig, I just opt for the Logitech/Klipsch 2.1 combo. Fwiw, the Klipsch aren’t bad, but the Logitech makes me happier.

Anyway, I played briefly with some Audioengines a while back, but getting something Sub wise that would play with them was a tall order (too high a roll off) so I sent them back.

if I were to do it again I would look at some monitors like JBL, KRK, or the ones Shady really liked… Kali I think(?). Those with a separate sub… and whatever splitter I need to get a signal to the Sub…

Sweetwater is selling pairs of some of those monitors at good prices…
Maybe not what you had in mind… but it’s what I got. ;)

Happy hunting, amigo.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I suppose the cheapest way is to just split off the sub signal from my current speakers instead of running it separately. Thanks for that thought.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think Dennis did a C-note passive XO mod, fwiw. :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm tired of constantly fighting with Windows 10 to enable my subwoofer. It will play the test tone from the sound settings but then with music nothing will come through it. So I'm looking to get a little amp with subwoofer out and some passive desktop speakers or active speakers that have a sub out on them. Would prefer to spend under $400 and ideally under $300 to do this. Are there any well regarded active speakers with sub outs in this price range? What are your thoughts on the following amp and speakers? The Loxjie was well reviewed at ASR and I can't find anything but youtube reviews without measurements for the Moukey, but they seem to be well regarded for the price. For reference I'm currently using Edifier R1280DB's. I'm not opposed to DIY speaker options either.

Loxjie A30

Moukey M20-3
I just noticed this. I'm guessing there is a conflict between the music player and the windows audio setup. That should be solvable. What program are you using to play music?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I just noticed this. I'm guessing there is a conflict between the music player and the windows audio setup. That should be solvable. What program are you using to play music?
Plex. It also isn't working with games.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
The only thing that activated it recently was the testing program through windows. It used to work with music through plex and games, but no longer does.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I just now saw this, but have a few questions.

I don't see how you have everything currently hooked up to your PC. How is the sub connected?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I just now saw this, but have a few questions.

I don't see how you have everything currently hooked up to your PC. How is the sub connected?
Everything's connected to the sound outputs from the motherboard, the little plugs.

I've ordered a splitter to spilt off the signal from my speakers to the subwoofer. Seems like the cheapest solution at the moment. lol

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Since I spend most of my time at my PC when indoors, I set up my living room audio like normal across the narrow end of the room, and simply moved my desk up to it. I have my Denon AVR, my sub amp etc. This puts my 12" mains and subs far enough behind my desk and toed-in to get that complete stereo image, with the sofas acting as partial first reflection and bass chokes of sorts that works wonders for near field.

My amps under and in front of my desk. Also considering that the DSP software from the Behringer for the subs is on my PC so I can tune on the fly from my seat if I need to. It's a bit ghetto, but I have nobody snooty that I care to impress, and my friends are all gearheads anyway so they dig it. Others, in my rather limited circle of audio friends, have set up similar systems since driving this one. The cross bar of the simple desk is bare because it's grounded, as am I when I put my feet on it, since I try to live that way as much as possible.

Where the speakers are, atop my subs, I have wedges between to aim the tweeters (DNA-360 CDs) downwards at my ear level, and are about 18" off of the front wall. This has sounded so much better than any desktop system I have ever had and I had to live with desktop speakers for about 5 years before. This sounds/measures surprisingly well. To get this level of performance for a more centrally located MLP, took a heap of room correction and a need for acoustic treatments beyond that.

Dog lays on the sofa next to me. She loves the way the bass goes thru the sofa. Soon as I turn on the subs, she is up on there for the long haul. That hadn't occurred to me until I sat on the sofa with her while the music was playing. Well, that's actually her sofa anyway, hence the comforter on it.

There is also room to put stand mount speakers in a stereo arrangement as well. These JBL S38 right at the front edge of the desk toed in, are really at home there. 8" monitors for desktop rule. Especially with the 12" subs filling in the very bottom.

The idea that desktop audio needs to be so tiny is just limiting what can often be the least problematic way to listen to music, or movies and video games for that matter. I had also considered a semi-built-in option for more of an audio console than just a simple desk. But, as it is now, I can undo 4 plugs and move the whole desk out of the way in minutes when I vacuum and dust back there.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis