Denon's new DVD-2930ci; Any advantages over the dvd-2910?

B

BKSinAZ

Enthusiast
I am thinking of upgrading my Denon dvd-2910 up to the new dvd-2930ci. Other than the 2930ci can output 1080p, will there be any additional benefits to upgrade? How about sound quality between the two units?

B

B5I8

Audioholic
It has the new Realta processor and can play Divx. I've never owned the 2910 but I do own the 2930 and the picture is fantastic.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
The 2930CI uses the HQV Reon VX chip The 3930CI and 5910/CI use the HQV Realta chip

Both chips are built on the Teranex Video Processing Systems that were previously only used in broadcasting and Hollywood studio's and such due to the starting price of $60,000.

So either of these have very high quality video processing and output up to 1080p. Also the CI models have extra abilities for Custom Installation's and home automation, and the 2930CI has the Denon Link 3rd(the 2910 didn't)

I'm actually thinking of upgrading my 2200 to the 2930CI so I can pull a shifty past the WAF and swap out the Infocus X1 for the Benq pe7700:D

cheers:)

B

BKSinAZ

Enthusiast
What about sound quality difference?

What about sound quality difference? Will there be any improvement in sound quality with the new dvd-2930ci?

B

B5I8

Audioholic
BKSinAZ said:
What about sound quality difference? Will there be any improvement in sound quality with the new dvd-2930ci?
If you utilize the Denon Link, I'm sure there would be.

B

BKSinAZ

Enthusiast
Nope

No, unfortunatly I won't be using the Denon Link due to the fact that my pre/pro is a yamaha rxv-2095 receiver, not denon.

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
For the slight difference in price, I'd doubt that Denon upgraded any of the components used in the audio path, but I've been wrong before ;) .

Bryan...or you could get one and have it modded...:eek:

B

BKSinAZ

Enthusiast
flyv65 said:
Bryan...or you could get one and have it modded...:eek:
You mean get the DVD and then mod it? What would I mod? Please explain.

T

Tazmoj

Audioholic Intern
Any idea on HDMI 1.3 being available on the 3930CI either intigrated or as a hadware/software upgrade??

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
BKSinAZ said:
You mean get the DVD and then mod it? What would I mod? Please explain.
There are a few Places, (Underwood, Modwright, etc.) that will change out some of the components in the player to improve sound quality. IIRC, modwright leans in a "tube" direction while Underwood does more solid state. There is another who doesn't get quite as wrapped around the axle with some of this stuff, but I don't remember is his name right now. FWIW, I've heard good things about all of these folks, but I've never heard their products myself.

Bryan...check the web, eh?

R

rsachs

Enthusiast
Move to 3930 if you can

I spoke with a Silicon Optix engineer at CEDIA regarding the 2930/3930/5930.

As indicated the top two models use the high performance Realta while the 2930 uses the Reon.

He stated that the Realta can be upgraded as new decoding algorithms are developed, but the Reon cannot. So if you get the 3930 and SO develops new DSP algorithms, the 3930 can be upgraded but the 2930 cannot. So your investment is "secure". He said that on the video side, the 3930 and the 5930 are the same. The 5930 is more costly because of the higher grade components in the audio section and the larger feature set. He felt that the 3930 was *the* one to buy, best performance/dollar.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis